Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, November 29, 2002

November 29, 2002


           An unexpected day off, without pay of course. Florida, you know. Jamie said she worked at 5 p.m., but forgot to say she would be home by 7 a.m. and wanting to sleep. All day, mind you, she carted five armloads of leftovers. I promptly fixed t up late for Frank, who showed up at 11:30 a.m. He is right on time when he knows there is food around.
           The Cadillac. Nicest car I have ever owned, but I'll never own another. Too expensive. I am again reading “Using Access 2000”. I'm glad I got out of programming 15 years ago, when object-oriented came in. I recommended 20 years ago that the first thing computer people should do is standardize some of the built-in errors of a QWERTY board. Make one universal date format, that is, get rid of US or British styles. You press the date key and it puts today’s date in for you. Devise new division and multiplication symbols, and put in a big fat bright colored key with one function only: Save my entire file in a place where I can find it again. Did they listen?
           Back in my day, you had to learn or have logic to program. You had to understand the problem before you started. Today you slap on modules, sub-modules, revisions and change key functions to prop up the original bad approach.

           This is a rare digital photo I got from the Time web page. It is one of the miners in Pennsylvania who were underground for a week. It is episodes like this that crop up when, in Montana, they say, "Every day above ground is a good day."

           [Author's note: it took me a while to get used to the Florida concept of holiday. The perfect example is Labor Day. That is the one day they should pay you for not working. Not in Florida, you get the day off, but they don't pay you, so in what sense is a holiday remains unexplained. Notice how valid my advice about the computer keyboard remains even today?
           I mention the Cadillac, but I was referring to the expense of getting a new car. Even at this late date, I can not afford a new car, unless I buy on credit. I'm not only against credit, but I am also against the credit system. It causes price inflation, even upon those who do not use credit, like myself. It propels prices into the realm were some items such as new cars can hardly be bought for cash. Take away credit and how many new cars would carry a $25,000 price tag? And expect to be sold, I mean.
           The computer book is by Roger Jennings, Que. Corporation, Indianapolis, Indiana, 1999. This poor man has lost all contact with reality. Where he does try to get practical his statements can be misleading. He can explain Internet access pages, but not the difference between inclusive and exclusive searches. I also watch for grammar errors, a book has rarely been proofread beyond that point. In later years, I found this to be a universal truth. When you encounter a grammar error, usually around chapter 4, the entire manual contains multiple other errors after that point. They never expected you to get that far. I collectively refer to these as MS-grade manuals, standing for Microsoft manuals.]


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++