Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, February 1, 2003

February 1, 2003


           That’s the Reb and my Cadillac in far happier times. We were meeting between jobs we were both on our way to and around a month later, I started working at the Kinko’s nearby. Four months later than that, I said to myself, this Kinko’s isn’t going anywhere, saying I quit because I did all the hard work around there. Who would have known it was to become a huge franchise? Who was to know there was not another woman in the world like Robyn?
           Miami, 9:00 a.m. The news is the Challenger blew up, somewhere over TX. Good, it is about time they quit flying that thing around in circles and got on to Mars.

           [Author’s note: I have always believed the Space Shuttle to be a nothing but a dangerous and expensive waste.]

           The high point of the day was getting kicked out of Denny’s. Yep, I got asked to leave. Explanation. I usually get there early and all the staff knows me. (2007: I am aware of the grammar error in that last sentence, but MS is not.) They [the staff] all ask what I’m reading and like to talk. I usually stay at least an hour and a half with two refills. This weekend I have the flue and didn’t make it till 6:00 p.m. I was reading at the counter between two people reading newspapers and the [Denny's] manager asked me to leave saying, “I can’t afford to let you stay here”. (See below.) If he’d said anything else, but if he can’t afford it, I left.
           Apartment hunting is going slow. Maybe because I am so comfortable where I am?

           [Author’s note: a few weeks later, I was back in the same Denny’s at the regular time and found out the details. It seems there is a college nearby and the student’s used to come in for all-night study sessions on the manager’s shift. They’d soak up all his coffee and drive him broke. I was reading a textbook, so the manager assumed I was a student. In a way, it worked out, as in the long run, this incident broke my life-long habit of studying at Denny’s. I rarely go there any more, having discovered that studying at home was more effective, and the coffee was better.]