Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

October 17, 2006

           Wow, it seems every time I do a computerization for someone, they get into a flap over how long it takes. Same with Don, we actually got near to shouting while I explained to him that I had not padded the time, and showed him how each step was reasonable. It really did take 39 hours to set the spreadsheets up properly. In this situation I explain to people that I enjoy the work and therefore it is wrong to suggest I waste any time at it. I mean, really.
           The new bike is unbelievable. A Jamus Boss Cruiser, same as JZ’s, but with an aluminum frame. There is no way I can bruise a unit like that, this is a serious piece of machinery. Mind you, it is also a $300 unit (I paid $80), so I’ll have to watch it extra. I’m used to that. It is a seven-speed, but unless I can gear it up with a bigger front sprocket, the lower three or four gears are useless. It takes more energy to spin the pedals around than gets to the drive chain.

           This may come in handy on a hill, but there are no hills in Florida. In the lowest two gears the distance of a complete pedal rotation is larger than the amount of forward movement. So, you are better off to dismount and walk. Bear in mind, I am most impressed with the bike and could never go back, but these are valid consumer observations, words to the wise. The bike looks misleadingly small, it is around 8% larger than my last. Even with the seat lowered all the way, you still sit up over 6 feet off the pavements.
           It has balloon tires and a sofa seat, real pleasures. The gearing takes my average pedaling speed, not to be confused with my average overall speed, up by 1.7 mph. Or put another way, in an hour, I’ve gone nearly 2 miles further. I stopped at the O’Toole’s on the way home to fix a quick network problem. Let me explain it so you can save yourself $40. You try to log on and you get that completely stupid message from IE [Internet Explorer] that “The page cannot be displayed.”

           Did I say stupid? Yes, because it gives you the impression you are logged onto the Internet when you may not be. Part of the problem is that we all learn to suspect our computer equipment when this happens, I mean, the Internet is always there, is it not? It could be a little helpful and say “No Internet Connection” if you are not logged on or “The address you typed does not exist” if you are. But no.
           Here is the problem. She kept getting the page cannot be displayed message. All of her modems, routers, adapters and software checked out. Of course she can do this, she was one of my students, remember. Okay, watch for this one. One of her kids typed in a bad URL, that is, an address that really did not exist [www.msnbcc.com], then somehow managed to change that to the default page.

           When she logged on, guess where the default page tried to go? Now, she did go in and type a correct address, but did not know you had to click on “Use Current” before you click on “Okay”. If you don’t know that, guess where it tries to go when you log on again. Right, the bad default restores itself, another stroke of MS genius. Oh, and I remind all you whiz kids again that the ONLY difference between “Okay” and “Apply” is that “Apply” does NOT close the [modular] window that contains these buttons. So you can make more changes without re-opening it.
           Here is a quiz to keep it light. I purchased a snack today, tiny and expensive. I saved the ingredient list, a little card that was attached under the wrapper. I noticed it because you could not read the card unless you removed the wrapper – let’s hear it for Yankee know-how. The snack was delicious, but more expensive per pound than a Boston Pizza. No, I did not eat a pound, just making the comparison. The question is, can you tell me what I bought by looking at that ingredient list?

           I’ve removed all the advertising, leaving just the contents. Now no cheating if you recognize it or anything. The game is to tell me what it is. You have thirty seconds. Go! While you are thinking, here are some things to distract you. This contains TBHO. Insert that dummkopf Florida “you’re supposed to know” look here. It was a good bite to eat, but dang, I had no luck finding any traces of chocolate and/or walnuts whatsoever.
           Mind you, notice that most of the major ingredients, while not good for your figure, are certainly natural. I said most. I’m amazed by how few people know what hydrogenated means. Yes, they actually “inject” hydrogen under intense pressure into the food. Makes the flavor come alive.

           The downside is that, like adding sugar, your body gets tricked into eating far more of it than you would normally eat if the taste was not hydrogenated. I like to make the analogy of mint. Have you ever tasted raw mint? Trust me, it is pretty nasty. Take that same mint and mix it with a ton of sugar. You get the idea.
           If you cheated and expanded the jpeg to see what I cropped, you are a computer whiz. A cheater, but still a whiz. What? I am very aware that you can set Word to cull the cropped portions, but I can’t find the command. How to do this does not appear under a search for the word “crop”, precisely what you expect from Windows. One of the results comes back with “Field codes: Embed field”, but again, you would need a MS monkey to explain what that has to do with your search.
           Let me duplicate the thinking of a MS employee. Remember, these are people who can pass programming courses. That does not mean they can program, only that they can pass courses. That is the majority.Since they are computer literate or would argue so, but can’t think, the only realistic option for most of them is to work for MS. I see the link already. You want to crop a picture, and you get back instructions for field codes. What is the connection? Easy, this MS employee is a modern marvel, and he knows that crops grow in fields . . . .
           Back to my contest. Okay, give yourself a congratulatory handshake (it can be done) if you got the right answer. Try it, because that is the only prize you’ll get. If you did not figure in out, well tough. I won’t tell until tomorrow’s entry.
           The nearby picture of some sort of medical printout is associated with the blog on this date, but there is no explanation attached. Except the mention this blog was nearly called "Fraught & Rife".