Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

July 11, 2007


           Now that must have been a party. I don’t think there are any over-serving laws in Florida, and this was in broad daylight along Dixie Hwy. I have no idea if the vehicle owner knew this person. I was out drumming up business for my show. This should give you some idea how starved this town is for good entertainment.


           The rest of today’s entry is missing, so you get filler. I have several limericks and one-liners from my [almost totally plagiarized] stage act. Like you have not done the same yourself, at parties. Here we go:

           √ Definition of a flashlight: a holder for dead batteries.
           √ Corduroy Pillows: they’re making headlines.

           Some State Mottos
           √ Alaska: 11,263 Eskimos can’t be wrong.
           √ New York: You have the right to remain silent. You have the right to an attorney.
           √ California: at 30 our women have more plastic than your Honda.

           Of course, you could stay at home tomorrow and criticize each other, but you could hike it over to Jimbo’s this Friday and be a jerk in public by moaning at my material. At your own expense. Such offers are hard to resist, and who knows, I may even create a list of who is not there. Aren’t computers wonderful?
           I have made a complete sit-down and think analysis of the clubs and music situation in this area [over the past six weeks]. Entertainment is dead in the area, yet it is really the only thing that differentiates one place from the other. No matter how fancy the sign, every club you enter in Florida has exactly the same atmosphere. Two or three cantankerous regulars at the counter trying to pick up the middle-aged waitress, a half-dozen TVs on sports channels and a digital jukebox set up too loud. No wonder people don’t go out, or worse, consider going out to eat preferable to going out to party.

           The situation is similar with musicians. House gigs seem rare, that is you’ll find the same guitarist at the beach that you saw downtown the day before. My guess is that in these parts, around six maybe seven Karaoke types make the rounds. That is, they rapidly find a circuit that pays the most, and the remaining days at a given club (like Jimbo’s) remain mostly vacant. One thing for sure, Karaoke in most of Florida is strictly an old people’s pastime. That’s in case any of you remember that I met the Robynette at a Karaoke bar – that kind of thing seems impossible to happen in Florida.
           A side project some of you have detected by now is taking up a lot of my time. All I can say for now is that I’ve spotted a pattern that one of the largest corporations in the world probably wishes nobody had noticed. Not only have I seen it, I’ve got over 30 documents saying I’m right. I’ve done this often enough in my days and although I cannot make any direct money off it, I can inform the “victims” that the pattern exists and hope one of them considers a reward.
           Meanwhile, I got a series of tapes to transcribe (I use the term loosely) onto disk. Don’t let anyone tell you that getting into this business is as easy as buying a tape deck and DVD burner. I have a ton of equipment. However, this time, and I’ve never seen it before, I get a perfect audio but a gradual fadeout on the video. It is always around 18 seconds after I start, so it is not just the tape. I even threw it up on my old Zenith B&W monitor, same thing. Figure that one out.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++