Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, July 15, 2007

July 15, 2007

           Here is a blast from yesteryear. This is a scan from a guitar book I’ve read a dozen times but never really used. Jim & Jesse, my top students may be able to get some mileage on it. Truly interesting is how little things have changed in the guitarist trade. It contains such immortals as “Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” and “Layla”, neither of which I have ever been able to force myself to listen entirely through. Take in the trade stamp shown here. I bought this book on Prince Alfred Street in Barbados 24 years ago.
           Not a bad day for nothing happening, because upon finding out about Gulfstream, the price of this trailer just doubled. Plus, I want the money now, not next year. I’ve got a passport I’ll be needing and I don’t feel like waiting. Never take the first offer in this town. And a motorcycle. I want a motorcycle.
           Pudding is also getting the benefit of my larger cash flow, see, because now the princess gets fancy cat litter. How was I supposed to know that stuff carried such a spread of price tags? She gets fifty cents a pound litter and it comes in fourteen-pound boxes. Can cats even tell the difference?
           Myself, I can tell you something that does not work worth a damn. Hydroxycut, the weight-loss formula. The effects wear off after a couple of days and you are just as hungry as before, with no net loss. If you don’t eat the first while because you don’t get hungry, your appetite just comes back with a vengeance. Save your money. Oh, and I rode my bike for sixty miles during the time. I’m going to double the dosage, for all the good it is doing, on the suspicion that my present quota is sub-therapeutic.
           Other than a light breakfast at the Argentina place, I was in all day. If this week goes well, I’m investing in another VHS tape deck. I have to eliminate any type of equipment malfunction before I try to discover why I’m not getting results. Good tape decks are cheap enough that I won’t bother with repairs.
           I retreated to the back room for the really hot part of the afternoon and watched a fascinating show about WWII suicide airplane attacks. I did not know that the Germans used ramming tactics, although I’d read that individual pilots advocated it. The article did say that at the time the news was suppressed and the collisions were attributed to inexperienced recruits.
           The Japanese suicide plane, the Baku(?), was something else. I did not know it had three rocket engines, which the pilot fired one at a time. There was an excellent computer animation of the view from the cockpit. The sensation of the closing speed (500 mph) is fantastic. I have often wondered why these suicide planes lacked even basic pilot armor. Didn’t they realize the pilot would be heading right for the ships guns rather than trying to avoid them? Another thing I wonder about is why all the camera footage that shows kamikaze attacks only show older Zeke-type airplanes, never these rockets.
           During the lengthy commentaries, I actually watched “Minority Report”, a movie they could have done a lot better with. I like the theme, especially the portrayal of Big Brother and the eye scan thing. Ah, you ask, what is the book I was reading while this was going on? It is an older [Robert] Ludlam paperback titled “Trevayne”. It is certainly a model for much of the next few decades of anti-corruption movies. Ludlam is one talented writer but his characters are a little too cheesy, perfect and 1960 for ground-level believability. His Introduction is better-written than the remainder of the story.
           Andrew Trevayne, for example, is a 37 year old millionaire begged by the President to head a cost overrun investigation against military contractors. Like most author-created heroes, Trevayne has the extraordinary skills to save the country, he lacks any originality in his hobbies. I’m sure we’d all like, even once, to hear about a millionaire who considers art auctions a detestable joke, thinks expensive restaurants suck and just hates sailing yachts off the New England coast. His wife likes to wear his teenage daughter’s bikini on the sun deck, no less. Of course he’s married, he’s far too well-adjusted not to be, but I think most people would rather read about the daughter.