Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, July 2, 2007

July 2, 2007


           This is what I call a decent breakfast, or more properly “desayunos”. It kind of sums up most of the changes in lifestyle for me in the past six years. Except for the ever-present book, there is nothing left about my former habits in this meal. That is a cafĂ© con leche oscuro sin azucar, una empanada con pollo y el pastelito. Exactly 291 calories. The paperback is by Lewis Grizzard, whose style influences my own.
           What is it with terrorists and Scottish airports? It was England caused all the trouble, not Scotland, at least before America took over the “stick-your-nose-in-everybody-else’s-business” role. I’ve seen a few fragments of the news, but somebody tried to drive a car bomb into the Glasgow terminal. I went home and watched the TV news but got no more information on who is responsible. The media is purposely avoiding any mention of the terrorist’s former nationalities. Come on, CNN, who else surprise attacks only defenseless women and children victims?

           The media is letting us down on that issue. If you are going to report the news, report it all. Nobody wants sanitized versions that refer to “British citizens” and “male suspects” as if males and not terrorists are the criminals. That left-out fact is actually more chilling than how these terrorists got past immigration. They were (as far as told so far) medical doctors. This takes terrorism to a new level.
           Mind you, doctors or not, they are still not very bright. A real doctor would have access to certain chemicals that would cause far more serious and persistent trouble in the water supply, and security is pretty damn lax around Loch Lo-wage. With American dumbing-down in full bloom, it won’t be long before we find terrorists running for President.

           Anyway, I got ten bucks says they were Arabs because Arabs don’t have the cajones to fight man-to-man. Just ask the Israelis, who continually kick butt in any fair fight. The only enemy the Arabs ever defeated in battle was the French, but then again, who hasn’t? Also, only England would be stupid enough to allow immigration from the sworn enemy of their greatest ally with a war going on. Must be proper about it, pip pip. And Scotland pays the price.
           Also noted is a deliberate attack on small business by Microsoft. True, nobody is supposed to copy software, but also true is that many small independent shops regularly encounter funny software. MS should be targeting the source of that software, much of which is professionally produced (with halographic logos) beyond the capabilities of local outfits. MS, out of some 74,000 “reports” has singled out 23 of the most defenseless. More on this later. (The civil suit is Federal. The retainer to deny such accusation is $7,000 because you cannot defend yourself against a Federal charge, you must hire a lawyer. Recognize that smell?)

           For the first time in history, I get slapped for not keeping up to date with this blog. Now, hold on folks. That is not fair until you get yer own blog. Blogs take time, let me tell you. I dispatched the related missives to those in focus, as it should be. You know who you are!
           I’ve failed, so far, in my search for a July 4th gig, something I kind of stated would I would push through no matter what. There is still a possibility that some of the parties who have my card will call. If not, I will do a promotional gig for tips somewhere. The point is, I will perform on July 4, 2007 as a single if I have to. And I don’t need no stinkin’ demo tape, double ha!
           Cancer Steve called. He went through his things that had been under my tarp for three months. Some of it got wet and he hit the roof. I talked him down and explained by reminding him that if he wanted or needed anything better, he was to talk to his mentor and arrange a storage bin. The x-rays of his lungs got wet and were destroyed. Also, he remembers dozens of pairs of shoes, but my pictures show that they were not there. I have 27 photos of [what things looked like] when I went in there.

           Furthermore, there were two drawers of papers, where he remembers documents from his whole life. Sorry Steve, here is the proof. There was one boxful of papers which I carefully packed, and most of them are old newspaper clippings. No photographs. No stage passes. I cannot explain because these things were not there when I arrived. Also, the cats had been sleeping on the papers in the drawers and they have an aroma.
           Now, he cannot find a place to live and the motel is bleeding him for $40 a day. His budget is like $1200, not enough for a deposit and the rent. I’d say he is stuck pretty bad and nobody is in a position to help him. I’ve done more than my share.
           Dickens called from the Thrift, I’ll be there the 5th through the 18th, plenty of time to get things done. Cowboy Mike called, the new guitar player, Al, can’t make Monday practice. I’ll wait things out and keep working on my own material, as experience tells me a third band member increases the chances of failure by six times, a fourth member by sixteen times. We’re re-scheduled for Tuesday, and Mike can’t play this weekend as he is leaving town. That, peeps, is why I kept my single act together.

ADDENDUM
           Mike commented about my single act at Jimbo’s last Friday. He totally liked the material and said it was most entertaining how I played my bass with those “Elvis Presley moves”. Since I have never seen an Elvis show, even on TV, that goes to show you this Elvis guy knows a good act when he sees one. Ta-da!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++