Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, September 17, 2007

September 17, 2007

           Adieu to Kissimmee and back here on Highway 27, mostly. Marion and I said goodbye for a couple of hours promising not to let another seven years zip past. As usual, we tend to bring each other back to reality, although there are some things we’ll never see eye-to-eye on. Like early marriage. That is why we’ve lasted 25 years, it is nice to have a wake-up call from somebody who knows your how and why.
           I drove down the center of south Florida from Haines City to Sebring and what a mistake. Getting an early start, I thought I’d zip right along. After two hours I had only made 80 miles. It is a highway, alright, but a bad one. It runs through every cow-town and there are traffic lights every five miles. Worse, everybody is trying to get frontage, so you get two miles of gas stations along a ten block town.
           Worse, there are no service roads. That means that the right lane of the highways in both directions serve and off-on ramps, effectively making it a two lane road. Get caught behind a motorhome and sweat it out. I kept thinking it would clear up the further out I drove but I finally gave up and headed down a back way to Okeechobee. I turned onto Highway 98 near Sebring, where they have some big annual car race.
           Finally, I saw orange groves. I was wondering where they were hiding. Even saw an orange juice factory. The area is agricultural but there isn’t really anything new to see. Not when you are caught in bumper to bumper traffic every fifteen minutes when you hit a whistle-stop. Once I got into the swamp, the drive became pleasant again and I had time to think and plan.
           It was also great to be back among real people again. West coast people, who understand the difference between yes and no. People who are not constantly trying to see what they can get for free out of you. One psychological item is worth mentioning, because it is so opposite to the “norm” around Florida. Marion and I both instinctively react in harmony over unspoken queues that are inexplicable, even to us both.
           Even her husband noted it a little (he’s only known her half as long as I have). It is nothing I could point to, but it is a host of little things. Like, without even looking up, we will both instantly sidestep certain types of people. Or we’ll both stop talking or see something at the same instant where others see nothing. Nothing mysterious, just noticeable. If I remember a better example, I’ll record it, but again, it is a very subtle series of reactions.
           If I’m going to do a single act, I have to make some changes. For openers, my equipment is too big and heavy. It was purchased back when I thought I needed another musician on stage. I’ve trimmed the fat, now to trim the gear. This planning filled up the entire trip back from Disneyworld.
           Back at the ranch, the music store does not have any used high-hats. The cymbals start at $30 each. The ones I need are in the $50 range, each. Yes, the sound differs with both size and material, you don’t expect an ex-drummer like me be satisfied with just anything. There are four distinct tones I’ve learned to make with a toe-operated high-hat, not to be confused with hitting the thing with a drumstick or other standard techniques. I can even emulate a crash. There is a new type of stand with just two legs, the third “pod” is the trap (foot pedal) itself, which I may evaluate even though I am not a fan of non-standard equipment.
           Everything that can get pared down in weight is being replaced. I will keep the Yamaha PA speakers in commission, since there is no substitute for pumping out the volume of air [I don’t use bass reflex speakers] or [mid-range] horns. The estimate is for $175-$190, I can reduce the transport weight by (an astonishing) 32.9% (from 176 lbs to 118 lbs) and setup time from 22 minutes to 13 minutes. Take down remains the same, but fewer trips. I’ll keep the old equipment since I cannot be sure I’ve thought of everything, and also because there is plenty of money in the music account and I’d like to keep it that way. Things start tomorrow.
           My video surveillance system got knocked over by Pudding-Tat, but not before the motion detector revealed something unusual. I likely mentioned the cat does not seem to eat unless I am in the room, but you would think that hunger and instinct would take over when I’m away. My understanding is that mammals had to eat every day. Pudding-Tat will not eat unless I’m there, even when the neighbor is in to check the bowls. No worry, since she didn’t even eat that much when I returned and seems in perfect health. It is just new to me that a cat would not eat without company.
           Here’s a mystery picture, see if anyone can tell me what it is before next day. Hint, it is 40 feet wide and all parts of it are 40 feet from where I took the photo. That means it cannot be a flat surface. Fingers on your buzzers.