Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, October 26, 2007

October 26, 2007

Yesteryear
One year ago today: October 26, 2016, top ten boring list.

           Here’s the new snack machine. I’ve always wanted one of these, the chintzy machine with the coil that turns and drops your bag of chips most of the time. Actually, this is only the top part of the machine, the soda part is already in place. It holds 80 cans. It cost me extra to stock up as our Club card seems to have expired, but so what, the most insane margins on these machines always brings in a good profit.
           This took me all the way to north Ft. Lauderdale and on the way back I stopped to fix the scanner at the Biodiesel place. We talked about the government allowing drilling in the National Parks over that huge oil field discovered in the Rockies. I never followed that issue because I’ve always said there is oil everywhere if your drill deep enough and despoiling the parks has always been subject to economics. When they find the oil under the Everglades, do you think some silly Constitution or Law is going to stop them?

           It had to happen, the new series of Dell Printers use cartridges you cannot purchase at Office Bunker. They must be ordered from Dell. I set up a Vista laptop for a client y’day and had to inform him of the bad news. All software that comes with Vista is trial versions, which have time or usage limitations and must eventually be purchased. In total, this will run you around another $1,000. Office 2007 has a limit of 25 times you can open the programs. Around the best deal is the anti-virus from MacAffee which has a three-year subscription. However, MacAffee is anemic and other anti-virus programs won’t work with Vista without modification at this time. Sucker.

           I almost didn’t go play tonight because I was modifying the coin mechs on this puppy. In the end I decided I could not let my public down and the gig was a bomb, as happens in this town. The few regulars were pacing themselves for the Halloween party tomorrow. I made gas money, and some extra to begin filling the serpentines [the racks inside a vending machine where the cans roll down], figuring on a better return on investment than letting the money sit in the bank.
           That’s not clear, I’m told. Okay, when I have a surplus, like the music account, I invest the money and vending machines are excellent ways to invest small amounts. If I get twenty in tips, I buy stock for the machine instead of banking it. So I make a profit on the tips, and the income spreads out over times when I’m not playing. Try it, I’ve made $20,000 easy off vending machines in my life (mostly in foreign countries). The neat part is the system is self-adjusting but I won’t describe it.

ADDENDUM
           DVD players finally broke the $25 mark. Meaning I actually bought one. It is a Coby, which [is a brand] I’ve had last a while [before, on other products]. This one was from Big Lots [the store]. It has taken ten years for these devices to reach the price they should have. It is only the player, you still need a television to make the thing work. The manufacturers are plainly milking the market by not moving directly to devices with screens. Yuppie marketing.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++