Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, November 18, 2007

November 18, 2007


           Like it or not, this is primarily a journal about a trailer, and here is the dead fridge I replaced y’day. You may discern the string of cars means this still is the most densely populated segment of the trailer park. The Canadiens are also showing up. Rumor is that Roland will arrive tomorrow.
           The Mexican guy (Jose) across the lane helped me move the fridge. This brings up an interesting point. You see, over the past years, everybody gets along fine, I’ve lent him my tools and given him rides all over town. Yet nobody knows his real name. I find nothing unusual about that, but I automatically dislike anyone who does. He is most amused when seeing me read recreationally, it is not something he normally associates with Americans. He thinks I am studying.

           It is break time, for we had to peel back part of the carpet in the office to move the fridge. Princess Pudding-Tat instantly decided to lounge on the folds. Everything is at a standstill until she moves. It’s nearly noon already. One of the things I’ve been reading is programming again. Folks, it absolutely baffles me how poorly some applications are written, because the quality of the logic is unspeakably bad. Um, however, I did warn the world twenty years ago that “Object Oriented Program Systems” (aka OOPS) would produce this situation.
           I’ve concluded part of why I don’t write my own code is because it is so difficult to get real code (that is well-enough written not to be consumed by error handling) to work on an OOPS system. Lately I have found four or five apps that did it, so my hope is revived. Anyway, I’m just looking partly due to the lack of a good Internet timer out there. Next time you walk into an Internet CafĂ© where the staff writes down your start time in a ledger, remember they likely failed to find such software I’ve been looking for.
           When the day got hot, I came in and read a chapter on C++, a language that uses the said OOPS. Any author of such a language knows the code must be compiled. This particular author (Brian Overland) mentions it once, along the lines that it “can be done”. He can tell you how to program, but not how to make the program run. I followed up to find there are 6,300 separate compiler instructions or files he is referring to. The problem, you see, is that he claims his book if for beginners!

           Okay, you beginners, create some DOS directories and reset the AUTOEXEC.BAT paths. Again, this is the sort of magnificent moron that is attracted to OOPS programming, and the reason why only one program in a hundred really works well. The same as the proportion of idiot savants to geniuses in the field. This particular author has probably never wondered why his books don’t do so well with the over 40 set who have the big bucks, but I have some suggestions if he needs any.
           This brings things to a standstill, because I cannot program without that compiler and that is another situation where you can’t really get a straight answer out of anybody. It is like trying to get career advice out of my father, “First, you quit school and go work for me for free until you are 45, then we’ll move to the next step.”

           Marion called last Saturday. She got climatized to Florida weather in September. It rained steadily since the day she got back to Everett. That is precisely the way the Florida weather plays tricks on newcomers. It seems like paradise until you move here and set up shop.
           I’ve decided not to link Anita’s blog here for a while, even with permission. Reading tells me I don’t know that much about her myself, but I do like her, okay. Now, it would always be possible to figure out how to find her blog by very careful inspection of the clues given here, but that would be tough. I’m not worried about any epidemic of smartness breaking out in the USA this decade.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++