Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, January 13, 2008

January 13, 2008

           Holy French Quarter, take a look at this. I got a wee late start, so I skipped Del Ray and went up to Lake Worth. By coincidence, I got on to the same road as Wallace and I drove down last year. If we had continued west another few blocks, we would have seen the single main road of the town. They have something against street signs over there.
           Earlier. The train I want does not leave for another six hours. I went out for breakfast, compliments of Jimbo’s. I also ran through some prospective music based on recent requests. I know I’m a musical minority, albeit a very well-read minority, but let me tell you two songs that really suck. This “Gambler” by Kenny Rogers and that “Watchtower” thing by Hendrix.
           “Said the joker to the thieves,” man, you gotta smoke a lotta, lotta whacky tabacky to find any meaning in that kind of crap after you are ten years old. Hendrix recorded back when it was still possible to have a hit playing a one-note rendition of the Star-Spangled Banner through a fuzz box. Since I liked The Beatles, I never found anything to relate to in his music, although he did a few good covers (Hey Joe). Thinking Hendrix was great is a definitive test for heavy drug use, that is, you will never find anyone who doesn’t smoke to say Hendrix was even good. Try it.
           Later. Lake Worth is a nothing place too far to consider commuting. It’s reminiscent of Oregon. I continued west over the drawbridge and wound up at that exact building where Wallace and I stopped for a look at the ocean. This was just in time for a blinding half-hour rainstorm right off the Atlantic, visibility maybe a quarter mile. All the tourists panic like they are in danger. Meanwhile, I am happily taking pictures. It was not cold, but the wind drove the rain right through the shelter, soaking everyone. Such adventure!
           I had lunch on a park bench and then walked through the ocean water a while. Noting the complete lack of women on the beach, I then biked back downtown. Lots of antique stores, the mandatory Starbucks and dozens of drinking places, all packed and noisy. Other than that, only one or two stores were open. It only took a few minutes to see the entire place. Lake Worth is a clean, quiet town with a large Mexican farm laborer population.
           Like Miami, the city is perpetually tearing up the streets and taking forever to get it done. Like Hollywood, they are maniacs over putting tables and chairs out on the sidewalks, blocking all but single-file foot traffic. The main road, Lake Drive, is spruced up and a nice visit. The cafĂ© in the picture is not typical of the area. The downtown still pretty much small businesses without the pawn shops and jewelry stores of further south.
           This ends my second train-bike tour. This is such an economical way to go that it would bankrupt half of Florida if it ever caught on. The tri-rail seats are fabric and okay comfortable, but you cannot stretch out. For those who asked, yes the coaches have bathrooms. It is always remarkable how many students are on board who forgot or lost their ID, providing lots of work for the train security people.