Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, March 3, 2008

March 3, 2008

           These pelicans are at a fishing dock (y’day) in Holiday Isle, Florida. What an ungainly bird. The weather was perfect with a good ocean breeze. The cool days have continued for a week now. I have not yet had time to look into any real estate prices and gave up trying to get an exact price on a Honda Goldwing. They behave like con artists.
           I was in the shop all day and did some serious research on printer drivers. During this process, I dealt with two Linksys techs on an overseas chat line. That’s over the Pacific, not over in the Keys. Totally professional and their English was flawless. If anyone around here has a comfortable job, watch out. Somebody else wants it. Read on, I had such a job.
           It appears possible for a mismatch to occur in the ranges of the IP addresses, even when otherwise set up properly. For all the time I’ve worked with these addresses, I’ve never totally understood them. To that add the fact that nobody has ever described them adequately, either. The Linksys people were attempting remote access (from Asia), these are wonderful times I tell you.
           This remote access is another thing I don’t understand. I would like to, let me tell you. I had to install a program called WebEx to allow the remote feature, something I do not care for. Then, I had to disable both the firewall and anti-virus protection. This print server has become a Frankenstein. I can’t quit now. The Linksys live chat session with India is unreliable and we were cut off twice, leaving the project unfinished.
           Then I got together with Will for a guitar lesson. He’s already showing rapid improvement. He has not yet adjusted his lifestyle to allow for daily practice. Be assured, all you other novices, that he is going through all the predictable stages. The sore fingers and frustrations and those maddening times when you have to repeat what you thought you already knew. Will’s progress is above average, at least moderately so. He knows enough to play tunes already and his timing is becoming strict (as predicted).
           A call arrived from the temp agency. The system has become very no-nonsense about hiring. All documents must be in perfect order. Of course, this policy makes for monumental waste in the system because of the needless requirement to treat everyone equally. I believe Arizona and Oklahoma lead the way in making life very tough for illegal aliens by going after the people who hire them or sell to them. This is the correct approach—focus on the obvious cheaters instead of making everyone suffer equally. The way it is set up now, if there was one illegal in an entire room, the authorities would use it as an excuse to shake down the whole place.
           The agency wants me to do a skill test. (Again?) Could this mean a job? I’ve applied only for temp work. The chances of finding another cushy position like last time are so small, I’ll take whatever they got. They have extensive temp to hire positions that I am not interested in. I would not mind changing jobs every few months, with a month off in between. But it remains unknown if this is possible in Florida. If the right office management position comes along, I’ll reconsider.
           Let’s look at the job thing a tad closer. My last job was easy, but didn’t pay well. I stayed there five years on what should have been a six week assignment. It lasted because it was not too demanding and there was no need to constantly strive for a promotion or a raise. These arrived regularly enough on their own. I’ll have to give Julie G. a call, my former co-worker who is now in charge of Human Resources.
           As luck happens, I also got a call from a recruiter at Barry U. There is a slim chance they may be willing to overlook a few missing documents in order to get experienced help. That would be this fall semester, so a temp job until then suits me fine. It seems I do not have a complete set of all those dozens of Florida teaching documents that have done such a fine job of making this place the intellectual powerhouse that it is.