Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, June 26, 2008

June 26, 2008

           The picture of contentment. See Lady Pudding-Tat survey her domains from atop one of her seven thrones. Kneel before me, ye mighty, and tremble. Behind her you see the southern reaches of Forest Wally. I’ve contacted Jose, who will be coming over later today to take Tennessee back home. Sadly, large as this empire is, it is not big enough for those two cats who are continually spit-fighting. The forest is in bloom again with another red flower and strong sweet perfume-like aroma making the whole house smell like shampoo.
           Video Professor. I have not had time to review the complete set. (I’ve looked at the Excel module only, which is one computer application that is easy to learn for there is a single correct way to do each thing.) The lessons are video, although they are the small three inch size. I am very impressed. They are professionally done and correctly paced. The lessons are not for everybody but they are thorough and cover every detail you need to know. Again, I am very impressed.
           Two things I wish to make stand out from that last paragraph. When I say the lessons are paced, I mean that they are not watered down to accommodate bothersome two-bit idiots, you know, like they do at the local college. Heck no, if you can’t keep up with these CDs, you really are truly a functional retard and shouldn’t be allowed near a can opener, much less a computer. Second, what I mean by not for everybody, these tutorials assume you can clear your mind of distractions and concentrate. My experience is that 75% of adults cannot do that. Particularly the ones who already know it all.
           Each set of CDs is $79.95. The ten-day return period is not nearly enough time to evaluated the material and they know it. That time limit is still plenty of time to copy the disks and send them back. You must call an 800 number and get an “Return Authorization Number” meaning any delay is in their favor, and they accept payment by credit card only.
           Taking half the day off, I went to the shop, then over to the Barn for coffee and the two-dollar cookie. Unless this is a holiday I missed, the streets are surely empty. I combined a little business by reading a book on electrical wiring. The Florida room was fudged but that is one of the projects that waits for Wallace. The hard part is done, I hid the ½ inch off square [of the building] in the new closet and the insulation batts are up in place. Now to measure the difference in temperature over the next few days.
           I believe this experiment will be successful and the once useless Florida room will become an inhabitable space. I wanted to do that at my last place, but never got around to it. Bear in mind the room is not intended for use during the hottest part of the day, although I am hopeful once I get the ceiling insulated and a door installed. It makes a difference already as you don’t get that blast of furnace heat stepping into the room like it was before. Also, the area is already a great improvement over the way it was, it just plain looks a lot better.
           This place has a built in microwave, one of those industrial power models that will hold a whole turkey. JC Penny is the model, however, it is one of those completely retarded models that no combination of pushing the buttons will make it work. I had one of these before and there was some complicated ritual needed to get the thing going. I did figure this one out the first day but didn’t write it down, so I know it works.
           A musician came by looking for work at Jimbo’s earlier this week. He left a business card, saying he was willing to “go as low as $175” per show. That is more than the pub brings in on some days. This is your typical example of a musician whose attitude stinks, because he is basing his price on what he thinks he should be making “for all those years of practice” rather than a realistic evaluation of what his act is worth to the club owner. It is tough to compete with Karaoke and DJ’s, which together have turned the “live music” industry into little more than basic unskilled labor.