Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, June 7, 2008

June 7, 2008

           Look, it’s the five little piggies. It was also one of the most successful posts on the Internet today (in terms of hits). The caption asked if anyone was interested “to see my sexy deep v-shaped thong tan lines”. Why would all those nice American people suddenly want to see a picture of my right foot? There is just no accounting for taste.
           Wallace called. His wheels cratered in Tonasket, a little town between Spokane and the Canadian border. He’s with Millie [he spells it Milli] so it looks like he’ll be spending a weekend in the boonies. I don’t know Tonasket very well, but I sure remember passing through there many a time when I was 17 or 18. Got stranded there with no bus fare one summer. Had to take a job weeding orchards, that was tough work. You got paid by the acre and the boss deducted $10 a day for room and board. Took me a week to get out of that town, or actually twelve miles from there.
           Can I pick them or what? I had a two o’clock so I biked over there when my phone started ringing. It was Mila. She still isn’t used to my habits. When she saw the car and could not find me anywhere, she called to make sure I was okay. Awwww, isn’t that sweet? I was out on the trouble for four hours, it was a combination of a bad router and a bad adapter (antenna) on one of the computers. Compound problems are the real test of whether you know your stuff.
           I peeked under the house to see what the foundation itself was resting on. It is a regular concrete pad in spanking new condition. It is also miraculously clean, so I won’t much have to worry about pythons and alligators as reported in some Florida parks. Mind you, has anyone seen Tennessee around this afternoon?

           There is a TV ad for a remote battery powered light switch. You plug the receiver into a socket and hang the switch anywhere within 60 feet. It seems to work fine, and compared to the wiring job it saved me, a bargain at $15.00. Beware, it used a non-standard battery called a “23A” where there is plenty of room for a 9V or a couple of AAs. Except for that totally ignorant stupid no-brainer, the item seems well-designed.
           The mystery of the magnet, showing ten degrees to port. Around two feet away, I had a pair of Koss headphones which must have an exceptionally powered magnet. That only accounts for half the declination so we only have a partial score on that one. It is time for today’s trivia. In Morocco, there is one of those towers used to pray to Mohammed. When it was built, they mixed nearly 1,000 bags of musk perfume into the cement. Now, 1,258 years later, the building still smells nice.
           Myself, I was going to do something nice, since business was okay this week. I looked around Hollywood, North Miami, and Ft. Lauderdale for what they had to offer. In the end, I came home, drank hot chocolate, patted both cats for a while and played some of the Hippies music on the bass. He never sent me the song list for Tuesday, possibly he’s forgotten I don’t have home access, but still even today is not giving me much time. If it doesn’t work out, maybe I can still incorporate some of the material into my act.
           Things went well enough this week, what, with Wallace partying in Tonasket and all, that even without the usual music income, I think I’ll do the fancy breakfast thing tomorrow. Mitch emailed a note to say he’s learned about the new place and the related move almost totally from the blog. Mila seems to work a twelve-hour shift, often coming in past midnight. Is she happy here? You decide, she refers to my half-finished work as “my new bedroom”. Actually, her furniture alone would more fill up that space, which in the end should measure 15-1/2’ x 7-1/2’ including the small hallway and closet space.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++