Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, July 12, 2008

July 12, 2008

           This is the beginnings of Wallace’s computer setup, with the new monitor. This otherwise ordinary photo reveals the predominance of computers where ever I live. There are at least four computers visible in this picture. For some reason Wallace has two scanners and a box full of network cables and devices. Maybe the whiz kids didn’t tell him you can’t network only one computer. He and Millie-Belle have learned to beat the sun up and get all business done in the early hours.
           The morning was eaten up by chasing around for the supplies to finish connecting the Internet system. Y’day was just the pilot project. So far it has worked best on the regular customers who have become lax in their habits. I had a terrific time finding ordinary kitchen timers once I actually needed a matching set. It is now in place, tested and working fine. I’ll streamline things during the upcoming week, as new systems always require unplanned adjustments.
           Wallace has never eaten grits before. Nor has he had sausage gravy and biscuits. We’ve been eating great in case anyone wonders why we are not going out to restaurants like we did last year. The new kitchen is like luxury. I don’t even know what Denny’s charges for the breakfast, but I know that it costs them 86 cents to produce it, parts and labor. The rest is overhead. I still the guy who holds franchising responsible for the $7 half-sandwich.
           I’m spending the evening at home watching Rambo. Nothing will budge me. Wallace did cajole me into losing one game of cribbage after supper. Things are far more organized here as we begin to permanently move in. I returned Fred’s tools and picked up his ladder to repair the roof soon as it stops raining long enough to dry out. Mila has moved but still has a few things to pick up, like a closet full of frilly things.
           Okay, I have to override the last paragraph. Wallace decided we should go for a shop and then stop in at the Friendly Inn. Over to Publix on Hallandale Beach Blvd for supplies, and that store is always a hoot on a Saturday night. All kinds of people have to get their weekend together so off-season you can see a good sampling of what really lives in this neighborhood. It is not a pretty sight. Most of them are harmless.
           The Friendly Inn is just not a place I would hang out if I did hang out in a pub.            There was some off-duty stripper giving customers lap dances and it was hard to tell if she or the clients were more disgusting. This fat lady with a painted on face hangs out there and she tries to hit on me every time we go there. Wallace is old school and encourages her while I can’t stand fat broads, particularly not the bar bunny brand. I’m trying ignore her and Wallace thinks I’m not paying attention. She finally came over to check us out but mercifully that went nowhere. Readers, please don’t lecture me. I don’t like poi, I don’t like jazz music and I don’t like 99% of all fat women. I mean I don’t like them in the way they want to be liked.
           Sunday I’ll be around here most of the day. It is tempting to go visit JP but I’ll see if Wallace wants to take the trip, otherwise I’m staying out of the sun. The small efficiencies are beginning to show, for instance shopping for two and taking one car most places. It takes a full month to get used to the heat, a full year to learn to like it. Wallace is suffering a lot of the predictable teething pains, such as sore joints in the moist heat and of course, smoking in a hot climate gives your lungs a burning sensation at first.
           The bonus was finding out that Millie-Belle is partial to people food. That means the decision for the garburator can be put off. She dining in style because nothing we eat is processed. Don’t be concerned on her nutrition, she gets only the best leftovers and only as a supplement to her regular diet. She can tell instantly when I head for the kitchen if I’m going to be cooking anything, the miracle of instinct, that. Pudding-Tat is out of sight. I now feed her in the back room. Trust me, that is everything that happened of any importance in Florida today. It is the quiet season.