Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11, 2008

           Another day at the shop. This is the sign on the front of the building. It was originally vinyl letters but you can see how it has weathered and peeled. Fred says he likes the effect so there is no intention of getting anything newer. My sign is newer and on the side of the building. I’m making another sign myself to fit into the area above out main entrance, a transom that has been painted shut for decades.
           I’m getting closer with the various types of software needed to operate computer rentals. This has been three steady weeks of searching and sifting. I’m getting close, but let me tell you, not one iota, not one scrap of useful help has come from any source during this entire project. Every website was a rip-off, every information site was a sales pitch, every contact was a scam artist. There was not a single site that mapped out anything I needed to know, each site quoted a ridiculously low price to try to sucker me in.
           Is this what Edison meant by 90% perspiration? He also said he was not a genius, but rather that he’d just found 10,000 things that don’t work. Took him years. If he was around to day, he’d find 10,000 websites that don’t work every day, and most of them are borderline illegal. Every search flooded my screen with junk and fake offers, which I only realize now that I’ve done so much of the groundwork myself.
           Meanwhile, I scouted the new Kinko’s location on the circle. Ripe for the plucking, with their outrageous prices. I see the nearest parking lot is public and unpatrolled. Fifty-three vehicle capacity. Kinko’s is a logical stop for the unemployed because of the contrived demand for word-processed resumes. (Right, a sincere human resources department would not insist on computerized input?) Mike has reported that several new customers have been attracted by my fancy sign. I think I’ll hit that parking lot on my bicycle just to get the word out that it should not cost $15 an hour to create a resume.
           The system I’m testing now is called APAL, claiming to be a printer manager of great practicality. It installed easy but then just sits there. While waiting, I found the song list Arnel had emailed, and we have our twenty tunes already. I met up with him at Boston’s, which was quite deserted. Everybody blamed 9/11 but I have to drive through downtown to get there, and things were normal everywhere else.
           I bumped into Little Jo, cast on her left arm and all. She reports Karaoke Ron, up in the Tampa Hospice, is beyond recovery. That is such a pity, I would place him at just 50 years old.
For diversion, I’m reading the account of Admiral Nelson on his way to Trafalgar. It seems there was more than one encounter there, so I’m referring to the final battle from which he did not return. I’m not surprised to learn that the best ships in the British navy were captured from the Spanish and French. All the military shipyards in England were government operated, which says it all.