Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

January 21, 2009


           As you know, I like to watch the state of business affairs in the neighborhood, since I am in competition with that crowd. Surely it amuses me when the standards, that is, those people whose parents set them up in business with that “shopkeepers ethic” begin to suffer. Lord, did they shake it in our faces for the last 40 years, the part about they were superior because they were their own bosses. Except for the part about where they got the money to tide over. I took a picture of this “For Rent” sign today. You would not think that offended anyone. Wrong.
           I had a two-minute discussion with the landlady of this ad. She seemed to think I [was under some obligation to] explain to her why I was looking at a public notice in a public place without telling her in advance who I was and why I would not sign a ten year lease. The conversation focused on her thinking I would pay her to take this picture versus how much she intended to pay me for doing so. We did not get along so well considering she was a fat lady leaning out a second-floor window. If that is your kind of gal, ask for the address.

           As with y’day, my energy was all about the Karaoke software. It seems to work exactly as advertised, with none of the qualified surprises one normally associates with American companies. I was able to control the system after a few minutes, when I inserted some of my own advertising during a pause in the sequence. Subliminal advertising that flashes “Tip the Musician”
           This software represents only the first step toward my goal. Everyone on my side has been fully informed of the progress. Afterward, I rode my bike for six miles. That could be in response to the reports of “cold” weather in the district. If I ever wax poetic, remind me to describe the frozen winters of the first 2/3 of my life. Don’t talk to me about your stories of snow and blizzards. Until you’ve spent five years north of the Arctic Circle, don’t start with me. How many months and years I scraped a hole in the ice to look south over that frozen tundra wondering why anyone… Well, you get the point.

           In fact, I was happy enough with the software to take the evening off. I bumped into Will, from Jimbo’s. Jeopardy, Cash Cab and some other game show caught me and I stayed for a few hours. Earlier I practiced my bass lines to new material. When the dude plugging coins into the juke box asked for requests, I gave him my new list. It was definitely an excellent choice for as I said, I watch for what people are not playing. I’m looking forward to Friday. The material I intend to use for my Karaoke show is taking over my act.
           Rumors. We might have known that Trader John’s the book place was not going to merely disappear. The word is that he has re-opened in North Miami. A little beyond biking distance, it is also in the same general area as Borders, the Barn and Aventura Mall. Now that I’ve picked up the trail, I’m in the market.

           Last, according to the few new faces found in my shop, we are the last place around that offers Internet access, except for Kinko’s where nobody ever goes. This has not brought any significant revenue in for me, which confirms my analysis that this town cannot support an Internet cafĂ©. This is doubly true, because the few locations that tried lacked atmosphere. The rent was so high they had to push the expensive ice cream and coffee on the customers. Or, they attracted a noisy clientele. Locally, it seems every third building is for rent.
           Many of our customers are shopkeepers, but not “standards”. That means they build or repair something, as opposed to selling incense and yoga lessons. Strange it is that lately there is a common complaint, more so because I had the same grumble when I was twenty. The shops are vacant, but the landlords will not lower the rent. Am I the only one that realizes that this is a revelation about how much power is concentrated in a few hands? It is a mystery to me, because the rich must eventually notice they are living on equity rather than profits. Even Krupp (the German armament family) had to close down their castle and rough out the Depression in a tiny 40-room chalet.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++