Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, January 24, 2009

January 24, 2009


           A quiet day, something not so welcome any more. Teresa came by and we went for coffee and to the library after work. This picture cannot be explained but Teresa (on the left) surmises this may have been a crime scene. It looks like somebody killed Santa Claus. Or maybe the Roamin’ Gnome? All that’s left is his boots and the perp only has to say is “I didn’t do it on purpose.” Memorize that phrase and yes, you can get away with vehicular homicide in Florida.
           I tended shop and worked on the lyrics. I’ll have to find something else to call the process because it isn’t any of the standard operations. How about “word-sync”. Yeah, that will do. More would have got done except for the phone calls all morning, mostly from women who have secretary-brain. They have no concept that the person who answers the phone may not be another air-head. You want to buy something, okay, but no lady, I will not take a message. Get your mother to take a message. There’s more to it, but I believe I’ve made my point.

           Checking in at Jimbo’s, I decided not to run the show tonight. Only a couple of regulars [were present] who’d rather watch TV. I’ll reconsider things after I see how the new word-sync works but anybody who can get a crowd in there on Saturdays will make everybody happy and themselves a good dollar. That whole strip [along Dixie] suffers whenever the working class stay home. Sigh, I remember when going out on Saturday was a tradition and I was so tempted to sit down and have a cold beer. There was a talkative customer there who liked the concepts I was describing. But I stuck to the plan, had a soda and came home.
           Reading is my relaxation, and I’ve got a great book on the South Pole. Actually, Antarctica in general, so ask me any question about Scott, Amundsen, Shackleton, Ross and the like. Chalk up today’s trivia to that peninsula that juts north toward Tierra del Fuego. I learned that is geographically part of South America, not Antarctica. I also got motivated and made us a big supper of sausage and sauerkraut. Don’t get the impression I miss having a woman around the house, because I’ve never in my life dated a woman who was domesticated.

           Here’s another item from the book. On that peninsula, early explorers (around 1900) have discovered carved rocks that show people were there within historical times. I have no theory on how that could be. That means people got across the Straits of Magellan since the last ice age. Outwardly, that is just impossible. I may look further into the matter.
           It took an hour and I’ll get better at it, but the first word-sync tune is done. It was chosen because I knew all the words. Johnny Horton’s “Ballad of New Orleans”. I used to play that for a nickel on the juke box after my paper route when I was 10 years old, not suspecting I would begin taking piano lessons that year or that I’d be starting my own band within 36 months. You know, that first band taught me a valuable lesson. That there is no difference between people who can’t help you and who won’t help you.
           Come to think of it, it also taught me that certain people love that expression about it taking 43 muscles to frown and only 17 to smile. They plainly know that it takes zero muscles to sit there and look stupid. (I didn’t write that, it was on the Internet.)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++