Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, February 1, 2009

February 1, 2009

           Here’s the gift certificate I’m afraid to present. See the overwriting where the owner’s name is supposed to be? I’ll get around to it but the only gal I’d care to take, Teresa, doesn’t care for Napoli’s. I heard they have great pizza. That may be the only reason I’d eat in a restaurant this year.
           It was a perfect day at the beach. That’s one of the reasons I don’t know why I didn’t take any pictures. The crystal blue water is usually offset by clouds but we have had several days of clear sky, another rarity. I’d forgotten it was Super Bowl and went to jam with Arnel, who was not there. Barry at HWB took a look at the new music presentation I’ve been working on. I still need time to polish the act before taking the show to an agent.
           On the return leg, I stopped to show Arnel the programming. None of what I do benefits his show but the point is we are heading in the same direction. That is, MIDI (which I will begin to call midi henceforth) will become available to us in two versions. One with vocals, one without; then we’ll both be happy. I showed the variations and files with a demo of what I’ve produced. It is agreed. If we can get this far, we can reach the end.
           The air outside has plunged to below 60 degrees, so to avoid frostbite we drank coffee. I baked an apple pie, ah, isn’t that nice. Hey, I’m not turning the oven on for an hour unless we get a cold spell. The beach was vacant. Barry says this is the worst yet (in 30 years) and he is a reliable gauge of the situation. The whole beachfront had a hollow feel today, why I even got a parking spot on the first pass. Kudos to the City of Hollywood. They have proposed the removal of all parking meters. I know meters are the reason I don’t spend more time at the seashore. It costs too much.
           Remember a few years ago what I had to say about the new Master Meters? It went something like soon there will be plenty of parking in front of the bankrupt businesses. I won’t go on about how I was so right about that. With any hope, the meters will be junked. There may still be hourly restrictions, but I’ve always been okay with that because most businesses don’t let their employees grab the front spaces anyway.
           My cell phone crapped out, so don’t call. Come to think of it, don’t call anyway. I’ve spent enough of my life on a phone. I used to disassemble it and it would start again. This time I think it’s the real potato. There was even a plan to take Teresa to the beach, but I can’t even get her number off that phone. See, now I wish I’d taken up with that gal who knew how to program sim chips. Well, for a while anyway, but not long. You see, we both weighed in about the same.
           Then I read this article that you don’t have to be ancient to get arthritis. You don’t have to be anything; some people are born with it. So I took a chance and went down the list of symptoms. Egad, it may not be bass player’s elbow slowing me up. Then again, there were a lot of things on the list I didn’t have. I had to pay attention because a few days ago I got the same pain in my right elbow causing me to think what are the chances? It is very difficult for we types who don’t watch afternoon TV to diagnose ourselves, you know.
           Being nearby at the moment, I watched the opening of the Super Bowl. The national anthem is preceded by another patriotic song which got the crowd on their feet. That is an excellent stage trick. The first goal, er, I mean touchdown, came with a few minutes but by then I was so bored I found a book on the economy in Bangladesh and I’m already at page 45. That reminds me, I’ve noticed an offering of East Indian books for sale on the rack at the Barn. Articles include art shows and interviews with their incumbent movie stars. I didn’t say the books sold, only that they are for sale.
           Let me calculate how long since I’ve been in India. At least twenty years. At that point I warned that once they get organized, they will overwhelm us. Not beat us fair and square, but overwhelm. My estimate was 50 years (if I can find the series I will publish here). While India is a wealthy country, I think six or seven people own it all. Like Canada without the welfare offices. The East Indians view us as primitives. How, they ask, can we be so foolish as to think everything around us could have been created by only one God?
           Their supreme beings obviously have job descriptions. So do ours, but once ours land in Washington they know nobody is watching. I no longer warn anyone. That gives the wrong impression that there is still something that can be done. America, the party is over.