Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

February 4, 2009


           This is Pudding-Tat, proving that a Florida cold spell is no problem when you’ve got a full length fur coat. Another trait of that cat is that she has human-like sleeping positions, as you see here. She is also a sound sleeper, for a cat, that is. And she never gets fooled by a loud noise twice.
           First bad mark for the new Nokia phone. It uses a power supply that is incompatible with every other Nokia product. That’s the sort of sleazy tactic we expect from inkjet printer companies. Also, the Nokia is designed that you have to press quite a few tiny buttons to operate the commands. Until they build a phone that cannot be used while driving, that is always a dumb move. You know what they say about starting all over with a new phone.

           Now for some really sad news. If there is anybody left alive in America that remembers the real name of “The Knuckle Song”, they are not on-line. I posted the question from San Diego to Manhattan. Over a period of six months, I got back numerous erroneous (“Chopsticks”) and one person from Sacramento who recalled his father playing the tune and called it “That’s Where The Money Goes”. That clue led nowhere but I got a flash of memory when I read it.
           A band called the Bookbinders released a version for which I don’t have the codec yet. To anyone who just arrived, I’m seeking the real name of that piano tune where you roll your knuckles over the three black keys. I know it is a real tune because I saw it performed on Japanese television in 1986. Not a standard duet, rather two pianos with two pianists playing with both hands.

           [Author's note 2018: finally, after all my unsuccessful searches, I met this guitar player who found the song in a matter of seconds. He's from Auburndale, and quit when he figured out playing in a band with me involves a certain amount of work. But I'm not telling the name. For that, you'll have to read my 2016 blog and find it.]

           The weather is bad; it is bone-chilling for this area. Meaning I had to drive the car but also meaning after work, Teresa and I found ourselves over at Jimbo’s playing Cash Cab. She knows names and I know events. We would have gotten more answers than most of the fares. One thing, when I went to pick her up at home, one of the ugliest women I’ve ever seen was standing in the parking lot staring at me. Turns out to be her bipolar upstairs neighbor. You should here that woman rearrange furniture.
           Let me qualify that. I was told she was bipolar. Where I come from, we use somewhat different terminology. What a boon it must be to such people to discover the things they do to intentionally has been labeled a medical condition. It removes the blame without preventing the behavior. The classic Type 2 defense: “I did it but it’s not my fault.” a.k.a “The Devil made me do it.”

           The thing that struck me was her makeup. She had bright red lipstick applied the same as a brat little girl who got into her mother’s makeup drawer. Hey, I don’t know the lady, but I know weird when I see it. She kept positioning herself around the parking lot so she could watch every move I made. You will never guess what was on my mind. So I’ll tell you.
           Last day I’d read an extensive review of screw threads. I had always wondered what those markings on hex bolt heads meant. It is a code for the strength of the metal, albeit an easily counterfeited code. During this read, I learned the details of how they cut the threads. The strength of the “hold” depends more on the surface area of the thread than the depth of the cut. That made me wonder why fine threads aren’t exactly twice as many as coarse threads. Then a coarse thread bolt would fit into a fine nut by “grabbing” every second set of threads. I know there are good reasons for the way things are but I could not find those reasons. Told you you’d never guess.
           Last for today, it took a little sweat but I have successfully analyzed a series of disks containing some kind of gangster television series called “The Sopranos”. I originally wondered why anyone would make such a big deal out of a singing group, really, I had no idea it was a Godfather thing. If I get broke, I’ll watch the series.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++