Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

July 29, 2009

           I was around in the car near Cleveland Street and drove past Theresa’s condo. Here’s the Taurus over there. The premises looked deserted so I knocked on the door. I knocked a second time, still nothing. I have permission to check on the place. Dammit lady, answer the door when you are at home. Now I have to make a special trip up there for that china cabinet. Jeff called later to say the lady was home. It is good to learn how she reacts to surprise situations, which is not very well. But she can have the room since Theresa's place still looks in one piece.
           It takes an iron foundry to make a liar out of me. Welcome to America and there is a steel fabrication shop a quarter mile from here, long the railway tracks. Most of the time, you don’t know they are there. The number of cars parked in front is a good economic indicator and they must build diesel train axles. After six months of silence this morning , it was thirty-ton “ka-toong”. They drop one, and this one they dropped three times. How did they know at that moment I was showing the room?

           Ronnie, who works at a health food chain, came by for a look at the rental. She lives over near Wilson, and confirms the place has gone downhill in the past couple of years. The cops did chase all the druggies away from Young Circle, so what were they expecting? That area is 90% rentals. Ronnie took an immediate shine to Pudding-Tat. She mentioned the doggie-odor, no offense Millie. I dragged out the carpet and hosed it shortly thereafter and open all the windows. Her contact phone number traced back to a “bachelorette party” service but at this point I’m not ruling out anything.
           Ronnie has a pet cockatiel (she is aware Pudding-Tat has never seen one) and wants Wally’s room instead because of the “patio view”, which there isn’t really. To enjoy the patio, it is best to go out there. She reminds me of Liz F. who reminds me of a librarian. She is hesitant but knows she will never find a better deal. She seems a little too pretty and too young to be on her own, but who knows for she is right in that shell-shock age bracket when it comes to men. Very poorly chosen men.

           [Author's note 2015-07-28: in the end, I'm glad she didn't take the room. First, she would have been right in the crossfire when Wallace showed up with his insane notion that he was going to blackmail me and rent out a room in a trailer court for $1,200 per month. Plus, she was much younger and prettier than Theresa and we know how Wallace reacted to that. You don't give anybody, even your wife, free rent.]

           It is rare for me to associate with the irrational, but after work today I met a guy who had strong opinions about the $10 fee you pay to enter a National Park. It took me a minute to comprehend his position. He felt the fee meant the park was responsible for absolutely anything he did, no matter how negligent. If he got lost, illegally fed wild animals or went swimming without a life jacket, it was the park’s responsibility to rescue him. He was around 45 years old. Chronologically.
           What is age anyway? On a list of people with birthdays today, I recognize one name, Martina McBride (43). Um, maybe if I heard her sing. But who the hell is Tim Gunn, style guru? Or Ken Burns, documentarian? For that matter, what is a documentarian? And how do you get famous doing something 99% of people think is probably useless? Cancel that question, I just remembered Madonna.
           I was also nearby during a show of Jeopardy, teen version. I played along and aced every answer except politics, which I am most proud to say of which I know nothing. Aren’t teens supposed to be progressively smarter as our education system evolves? It was the teen version of the show which made the questions tougher than adult trivia. To those who belittle the game, I point out that the teens didn’t get most of their own questions, and neither did many of the adults around me, most of whom had teen children. What’s it like to be “stupider” than your own kids?

That reminds me, it is time for:
           Famous Family Quotes #4: “Did you know you were asleep?”
           (This one requires no elaboration.)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++