Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, July 31, 2010

July 31, 2010

           PARTS of today's blog withheld pending verification of technical details. I need to get some extra specs before publishing a new style of electric bass I have sort-of invented. Sort of in that it would cost half what other less-suitable units would cost. And is not another "war club".
           Next, I met Fast Eddie. He’s a non-singing classic country rhythm guitarist looking for weekend work. Owns a small studio and has two minor albums on the Nashville market. By classic, I mean pre-1979, not today’s 128-track production numbers. BTW, did you see that gig McCartney did at the White House? I counted no less than 18 musicians on stage. Some “solo performance” there, Paul.
           Fast Eddie has reliable transpo (a beater), good gear (less than twenty years old), and stage experience (has played McGowan’s). He’s a strummer and finger-picker who plugs through the PA and, like myself, views modal lead breaks as an aberration. Dave-O is not replaced by any means, but I cannot afford to miss another season if he can’t get up to speed. The instant I began rehearsing again, expenses climbed to 15.2% with September right around the corner.

           [Author's note 2015-07-31: whatever needed verification soon got lost. It wasn't really a new style, but an adaption of a fatter guitar neck to accommodate a lower B-string. My research showed that reasonably priced factory models would soon be availiable, and in a couple of years, I just bought one. It sits in the corner. In fact there are six and nine string monstrosities for sale these days, but at what point are you no longer playing bass?
          Eddie turned out to have the standard guitarist shortcomings. Unable to learn new material, thinking his existing list was the ultimate, thinking "joining" a band meant others learning his list, and I wound up missing the season again. There are no good available guitar players in south Florida.]


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++