Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, September 12, 2010

September 12, 2010

           Yes, things are picking up. I’ll explain the graph later. I have some news. I investigated that on-line house auction and I have good news and bad news. The good news is there is clearly an un-written conspiracy between the players, who are small enough in number to determine a maximum bid. The bad news is, I barely missed a 12-room house in Ft. Lauderdale for a bid of $28,912.
           Actually, I see there isn’t any good news for the average person. First, you have to practically have the cash due to the rules of the bidding system. Closing has to be done almost immediately. The system, except for the bidding, is very difficult to understand. I put my bid in knowing I would lose to the cartel, but to let them know I am a serious contender. However, I’ve also decided to stick around here for a while, as it is becoming increasingly clear some people have been less than honest with me. That is never a good idea.
           Shopping. It is fun, and I’ve missed it a while. It is nice to go out and buy things after a six month hiatus. I had to haul in the reins for a bit. While things will remain tight, I was in Wal*Mart most of the afternoon. It is nice to find a shirt that fits and being unable to decide on a color, buy all three. Jackie and I have the standing joke over such behavior, he often speaks of the profound impression he got from my philosophies, as I remain still the one person who thought through the system before it happened to me.
           I’m on a budget for at least another month, but I had coffee over at Dunkin’ and a late snack at MacDonald’s (second time in a row). I tested out some comfy easy chairs, rocking recliners if you would. Once you get up into the $800 range, some of those are damn comfortable. Built in massager, and when fully reclined, put you to sleep within moments. Maybe I’ll take two.

           Pat-B called and scheduled a rehearsal. We ran through twenty tunes from scratch, a better start than most. He is willing to compromise and I did my best to make it clear I am not against blues or slow music, only that I can play it but usually don’t. That is significantly different than being unable. Hell, I wasted at least a year of my life playing blues for nothing, that is not to say I would not do it for money.
           And money came up, he was surprised to learn I’ll play out for as little and $50, although I’m sure I mentioned several times that is what I charge the Hippie. He also knows that guy and, if I may say so, his song list is influenced. Any way, so it is clear, I will hire out for $50 a gig. Ah, one asks, is this a bargain? Actually, I spend some time calculating the ROI (Return On Investment) of what I do in music. Let me explain a few things.
           I know within a few percentages what I and most musicians really make. I know the long-term devaluation of amplifiers, cables and accessories. My diagrams reveal the seasonal averages and the dry spells. In the above graph, the blue line shows my actual income, the pink is a running average. The seasonal dip last July is clear, avoided this year only by bingo. Only a dunce mistakes entertaining for a steady income. Thus, when I hire out for $50 (plus tips), it is a most informed decision of what I would really make otherwise, no ifs ands or buts.
           I show up, I play. I don’t pack gear, either up or down. If we get rained out, I get paid. If the place burns down, I get paid. If there is a solo, I sit in the crowd and play audience. I’m responsible only for my personal gear and the tunes rehearsed in advance. When you think it through, the pricing is fair to everyone.

PS I’ve made as much as $180 in the tip jar (1996) and that should answer any questions as to why I like tips so much.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++