Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

November 24, 2010


           Here’s a carefully composed picture and a busy one. It took fifteen tries to get the bus stop sign right as moving cars sped past the palm trees with the Canuck flag framed between them. Behind is the empty Kelly’s sales lot. Maybe Canadians with credit are the only ones left buying cars?
           At any rate, the photo is thought provoking and it was pure luck I caught two vehicles, as there were either no cars, or the flag wasn’t waving. For those who don’t follow the effort, imagine this same picture without the cars and the bus sign. It is a still (photo), but you can easily imagine the vehicles doing 40 mph.
           Okay, I overpaid a little for the motorcycle, but let me tell you that was easy because it wasn’t my money. It leaves me a little broke until the first so I hope Wallace doesn’t show up before then. I finally managed to pick everything up off the floor and move the mattresses in the ensuite, but there is no way I can keep ahead of this place on my own.
           At least now I can sweep the floors, but the place is a mess, although it is a valuable mess of computer parts and televisions. I could get things shipshape in a day if I had some help with the yard. As it is, I’m good for a half-hour then need a two hour rest. Remember how Wallace had difficulty walking, but when he leaned on the shopping cart he was ahead of me? That’s how I am with the bicycle. I can ride, but not walk.

           I’m well into “Nothing Gold Can Stay” and it is a great non-mainstream tale so far, set in Alaska. The copyright says 2000 and the writer, Dana Stabenow, is over-influenced by middle-age culture, for her main characters are divorcees and widows, as if they possess top-secret knowledge lacking in the single and the married. I have identified 41 characters by chapter ten, but at least none of them are queers so far. Stabenow would not miss a chance to say so, the way she describes other encounters.
           The plot is a murder mystery with a State trooper finding corpses and knowing there is a connection without evidence. It’s got me stymied. But thank goodness the Eskimo women aren’t endlessly portrayed as selecting matching bearskins and mukluks before a trip to the outhouse. I’ve never been to Alaska yet I’m skeptical the wilderness is really dotted with as many good-looking horny women as contained in this one short story.

           There is a definite connection to the gas lantern and this extra reading. I’ve got a motorcycle outside yet I preferred to stay and read. I put some rice on the (approved indoor) gas burner and stayed with the book. This is something new and different, even considering my history of reading several hours per day. I’ve reviewed my entire past and there is no direct cause and effect. I lack the introspection to figure this out easily.
           I’m reminded, you know who just cannot cook rice? Jackie, from Jimbos. His father was in the food business, but Jackie has no knack for rice. I make it to perfection every time, but then again, I can’t cook fish. I can’t even heat it up without it crumbling and sticking to the pan. I have no idea why I’m telling you this and I’m not about to invent any little voices. It’s that I never thought that somebody couldn’t make rice and it mildly amazes me.
           Here’s the dose of trivia for today. Coin operated vending machines made their appearance in London, England. No date, but I believe it was before 1900. They dispensed postcards. Now ponder the question that if it is true automation is more efficient than humans, why do things cost more out of a vending machine than at the stop and rob?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++