Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, March 31, 2011

March 31, 2011


           This is the mobile home of my French buddy. The guy had a small wood-working shop making souvenirs, salad bowls or something. He sold out for $5,500,000 at the peak of the market. He says if he’d waited six months he wouldn’t have gotten two million for the place. Anyway, here’s his $410,000 retirement mobile home and you should see his retirement mobile wife. Everything the best money can buy.
           It is true I mean-mouth the C programming language. That is because it is terrible. Some say it is “elegant” but won’t point out why. Others say it can do things that other languages can’t, but duh, the same back at you. Show me what these things are, for I can program a half-dozen languages and if those “things” exist, they have little practical value. My main objection to C is that the code is not clear.

           Thus, I say about the C the same as [I have said in writing about] all languages: an idea is not clear unless it can be written down. I’ve met dozens of people with great ideas who, when told to put them in writing, either failed or took such inordinate time it made the original idea dubious. No idea can be clearly written in the C language. I was not surprised to learn that C was invented by telephone employees (Bell, 1972). That explains to me why, though they were adroit company men, they still could not behave, spell or communicate well with others.
           Take the time to read the nearby snippet of C code to realize my point. It is not evident what the code is doing like it is with almost all other languages except Assembler. Try to guess the purpose of this code. You can’t expect a man to do a good job if half his time is spent wrestling with the tools.

           The most noticeable feature is the profusion of spurious punctuation. There are several instances with 5 punctuation marks in a row. This makes for code difficult to follow and to debug and that is not “elegant”. The users say that memorizing all these quirks are part of learning the language. I point to how the Chinese did the same thing with their language. They said it was open to all, but in reality it took so long to master it was actually a barrier to improvement.
           Don’t you hate it when your least intolerable radio station changes format? No, I don’t have a favorite, just one I disliked less than the others. It was 102 or 105 dot something and they used to play hits of the 70s, 80s, with lots of commercials. Well, they changed to total slow sucky married-people rubbish. Just when I was trained to listen to the station, too. Now it is moaners like “If You Don’t Know Me By Now” and the "Pina Colada" song. Gag me with a spoon.

           I’m at a loss on what to follow up the LED dot matrix experiment with. I don’t have any advanced (expensive) sensors or gear to build mechanical items. If I can’t come up with ideas, I’ll go back to radio which always fascinates. I think I will systematically go over any trials that failed and find out the reasons. I can also prepare by reading advanced material, though finding that material is always tough going on the Internet. There’s a lot of water out there but it isn’t very deep. The solution is to turn this into an opportunity
           Meanwhile, here’s my scooter that Patsie bought me getting the 1,000 mile oil change. Only she does not know she bought it for me. She’s only good at being a bitch, not at figuring things out. I’m a firm believer in routine and preventative maintenance. I don’t let walls and ceiling fall down on my own, and that Patsie could use an oil change herself. Thanks for the scooter, Kenora. It works just fine. Don’t get too steamed, I’m not near finished with you yet.

           [Author's note: My French is terrible and I may have reported the sale of the business above at $15 million. That was an error, it was $5,500,000. If you try to say that in French, you will learn the source of the error.]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++