Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, May 12, 2011

May 12, 2011


           We have become experts at constructing this brand of antenna. I dubbed it a zig-zag, but have since learned it is popularly called a “bowtie” antenna. Shown here is the 32mm quarter wave model that is tuned to pick up the gigahertz signals specifically from Linksys and Netgear 802.11g routers. I did not encounter it being called a bowtie until months after reading articles on the topic. So much for Internet dissemination of knowledge.
           The scooter has spoiled me. Despite spending record hours at home, I find the daily mileage on the scooter has gradually increased up to some ten miles per day. The nearest bookstore is now three miles away and I travel sixteen miles to music rehearsal. The fact is the convenience of transportation means I make certain trips more often. I will go to Publix for one loaf of bread, for example, where I used to wait until the trip made up a full bicycle load.

           I’m reading a rather impenetrable book on early research, “Microbe Hunters” by Paul de Kruif in 1926. It was misfiled into the murder-mystery section and once I got started, the historical depth was captivating. I cannot recommend it for shallow reading as those unfamiliar with basic laboratory procedures likely won’t follow the plot, which otherwise is a collection of the foibles of the scientists.
           Leeuwenhoek would not let even the most distinguished thinkers of his day touch his microscopes. Pasteur reveled in letting big-shot professors know when they were wrong. Spallanzani went out of his way to embarrass scientists who displayed too much “Bible-think”. It kind of puts a human face on science at an age where it was mostly performed by individuals and not research teams.

           I’ve been asking around for a sewing machine. One of the places visited was the consignment shop next to Burger King on Hollywood. Maybe it was not such a great idea to inadvertently let half the older ladies in town know I was a bachelor learning some domestic skills. I do what I can to assure them that I am only looking for a sewing machine, not somebody to operate it, know what I mean? Two things. First, they are generally twenty years older than myself, which I am not seeking. Second, I’m not near ready to give up yet.
           To field test the newest additions to my repertoire, I dropped by two Karaoke shows. On both, my voice cracked on the highest notes of Twitty’s “Make Believe”, but I discovered this lets the audience know it is a feat even getting to that octave. I’ve decided to leave the crack rather than lower the key. Also, I fixed up yet another equipment problem for a fellow musician, but at least this time she said thanks. That reminds me, both of the newest and most expensive cables I purchased this year have all gone bad and required resoldering. They were made in America.

           This Friday is a no-go for music. We are not ready and I have rules about putting on show that should by rights be a lot better than it is. The following week looks better and would give me a chance to invite Ray-B and Cowboy Mike. I have done the impossible. The tune “The Rose” has a particularly difficult rhythm to tackle without a piano. I’ve composed a completely novel bass line that preserves the uniqueness of that rhythm and may even be suitable as a bass solo. Don’t expect miracles, all I’m saying is I’m on to something.
           At the library, I had a forty minute wait for a computer, so I flipped through the atlas stand. I missed the cool spring weather meaning the Okeechobee trip is on hold. But I did notice on one of the larger scale maps there is a roadway right along the southeastern edge of the lake. This would drop it to a leisurely hundred mile trip via Belle Glade and through a section of terrain I’ve never seen. Wait until I Google map it first.
           Goodwin. That’s the name of the guy who invented Goodwin’s Theorem. It states that the longer a thread exists, or the more people that join the thread, the greater the odds that somebody will compare another to Adolf Hitler. Or a Nazi. I have a similar theory says in a group larger than seven people, one will be an ignoramus and a jerk who will call somebody “prejudice”(sic). Myself, I say Goodwin is merely realizing the probability of wading into the rather large pool of Internet idiots. Then again, it is nice to have something to call the event. Proof? Well, there were eight people in my family.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++