Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, July 2, 2011

July 2, 2011

           Here’s a photo from our “Glad It’s Not Me” department. Enjoy. I took the scooter for a 102 mile run up to Green Acres, the city. Trip time was four hours which is astonishing for this town. It’s symptomatic of something when I can drive five mile stretches and see maybe twenty vehicles on the road. My gasoline cost was $4, slightly less than a quarter of running a well-tuned small car the same distance.
           This took me through millionaire’s row in Boca Raton. Miles of gated communities with a mesh screen private tennis court in every back yard. No vehicles over five years old in the driveways. Fountains that work and more palm trees than Hawaii. No sign of people, either, but that could be a good thing.
           Purpose of the trip was to purchase an Ibanez semi-acoustic guitar to begin laying the tracks for my new solo act. Pictures to follow but for now, all I’ll say is it was a great deal that included a $25 tuner and a practice amp with built-in choruser. In the past couple days I got a sewing machine, some new music gear, I’m $55 under budget and bingo hasn’t even happened yet.
           A long weekend always perks bingo up so tonight was successful, although that is a guarded pronouncement. You see, it is other non-bingo items that make it so. It was a peculiar night. This is partly due to bingo having taken over from Karaoke as the big night of the week, from a six dollar night to a six hundred dollar night. As I was packing up, some of the crowd I’ve known for years asked questions.
           From that, I discovered that it has been popularly thought by half the audience that the Thursday Karaoke was my show. No, I am just another guest. I think the explanation is that if I am there at all, it is early. The regulars know not to show up until after 9:00 PM anyway. So Wanda will get me singing while the beginning acts are fumbling along. Regardless of my musical ability, it must be obvious I’ve spent the majority of my life on stage. I suppose they assumed I was in charge. I will tone it down.
           Pat-B mentioned a newer club downtown, “The Big Easy”. Bingo finished early so I thought I’d tour the area. It is smack dab in expensive territory. It is next door to that chocolate place that soaked Genie and I a fortune for a couple beers two years back. The experience is akin to driving through a Mexico City red light district. Fat Latina broads doing the shicka-booga and all the clubs blasting music onto the street. Competing by noise pollution and not a pleasant experience.
           Oddly, it is an older crowd. My idea of a party town somehow does not jive with women pushing baby carriages and 35 year old men downing pizza and beer. It is not a family atmosphere and I consider it unwholesome the way I see families on the boulevard at night with pre-teens in tow. Sends them the wrong message. It is understood that the prices also keep young people away. There was no parking and I did not stay.
           In general, downtown is a drink and eat operation. I don’t normally associate the two. If you go out to drink, then drink. If you go out to eat, then eat. Doing both is guaranteed to pack on the pounds, people. I’m not referring to a dish of peanuts with your Michelob, I’m talking about the type who guzzle two pitchers of draught while scarfing two pounds of lasagna at a single setting. The portions are huge and costly and I don’t even like being in the same room as people who consume like that. Just ask my family.
           If you really want a feast, try some ancient Polynesian delicacies. Such as a dog they raised for food. It was vegetarian and could not bark. That is also your trivia for the day. I believe there are a couple in the zoo in Hawaii. Modern American men would rather starve than own a dog that could not bother their neighbors.