Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, July 23, 2011

July 23, 2011

           This is about as domestic as I get. Ironing next to a sewing machine, cell phone recharging, tea pot in the back ground and radio parts on the kitchen table. The heat drove me indoors so I took care of the laundry. The afternoon made for an extra siesta. Florida is not comfortable in the summertime, I should be in Colorado. I’m working on it, you know. I don’t watch TV so I only found out about the heat wave this morning.
           For no reason I bought a newspaper and worked the crossword up at Dunkin Donuts early this morning. What’s this, an anti-immigration attack in Norway? Hey, it serves these Scandinavian countries right for allowing immigration. The rest of the world’s population has nothing they want or need. Ninety people died, so I did the laundry. And watched “Human Contract”, one of the worst DVDs I’ve ever seen. You know how men think they look cool when they smoke? And divorced women see themselves as hot catches? That’s the plot.
           Has anyone ever noticed that once you order cheese and salami pizza, after that all other toppings make little difference? This pizza was to celebrate a reasonably successful bingo with a smaller than usual crowd. Afterward I stopped at G’s Place to see the band. Talk about overkill, a five piece blues group at concert volume. They did not play anything I recognized, which when it comes to blues is not always a bad thing. The singer looked like Elivra with a page boy [haircut].
           When break time came about, a serious consideration with five-member groups, Elvira stayed and played. It was some kind of all over the place guitar ballad perfectly strummed. To my ear, most jazz blues fusion sounds like somebody who took too many lessons is trying too hard to get original. I wondered if she did any country. My strongest memory of the show was that a mosquito bit me on the knuckle of my right middle toe.
           I have another winner with “Passionate Kisses”. The crowd is not expecting it. I stopped at Karaoke and also sang one of my duets, “Jackson”, with the club owner’s wife. Duets are uncommon at local shows. I have no theory except most of the singers do come across as loners. I have no trouble getting women to sing with me since I do a lot of chick tunes. And I have no trouble doing the whole song solo if need be. To date, all my accompanists have been, alas, married women.
           Not only is Borders [book store] bankrupt, half the countryside is kicking the corpse. Turns out Border’s has some $300 million dollars of inventory sitting on their shelves and it is about to go on sale. So sad, it is the passing of an era. If anything happens to Barnes & Noble, my days of free reading may be over. The smaller bookstores intentionally don’t provide any place to sit. The problem with the whole industry is, in my opinion, that prices are too high. Books simply cost ten times what they are worth. There is no need to ask why people refuse to pay $60 for something to read.
           What’s this new DNA proof that Neanderthals and humans have interbred. This comes as no surprise to anyone who has seen jocks climbing mountainsides and kayaking the white water. That’s their mating call. But I do wish National Geographic would quit glorifying them. How they love to present some dumb ape risking his neck on a snowboard in the Andes as a “scientific expedition”.
           And Amy Winehouse is dead. I’ve never heard even one of her songs that I’m aware of. But I did watch her pictures change from a bouncy babe to streaked hair and Tammy Faye makeup. Drugs again. Nature’s way of telling people talent is too often wasted on the undeserving.
           Last for today, there is still no solution as to why my H-bridge passes so little current through the transistors. But we are finally ready to make the quantum leap forward to the next stage of our robot studies: the direct control of IC pins with the Arduino rather than using energized transistors. Reality hints that probably some combination of the two is more practical but any alert researcher has to notice how closely the brainboard pin and transistor base currents are matched.
           The difference this will make is the speed at which events can be accurately controlled. If bats can avoid spider webs with 100,000 Hz, I should be able to detect a brick wall with 40,000 Hz. I have no method of measuring either frequency. Your trivia for today is that bats use FM waves to hunt, not AM.