Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

November 1, 2011

           This is a nylon guitar pick, the Dunlop brand I used as a tween. The difference is now I have to buy them by the 12-pack, or roughly a 15 year supply provided I don’t lose the unused portion during all that time. It is made in USA and a good example of what is wrong with this country. The sellers can claim they can’t afford to sell them one by one, but whose fault is that? Instead of improving the way they operate, they increase bundles and prices. In the end, people buy fewer, and US business' create their own deadly spiral.
           It was no good warning people and now cities with unpaid traffic violations are commencing to turn the citations over to the credit score people. It turns out a lot of bigmouth people did have something to hide, after all. This is not the usual collection agency, but a tactic whereby they have negotiated to knock 125 points off your credit score. That’ll learn ya. Oh, I fully agree it is outrageous that the traffic law people can even use your driver’s license information to even find out if you have a credit score, but most of you had it coming. You didn’t speak up and now there is nobody to speak for you.
           There’s something, a new study that indicates the selection of a mate is not a mysterious emotional byproduct. It may be what I’ve said all along, that what you like is hard-wired into your brain to ensure the passage of the best genetic material. Therefore, you should mate with the person or persons you naturally find the most attractive. It only took science fifty years to catch up with what I’ve known all along. Wait, my theory is even more evolved.
           I postulate that Nature is operating at an even more brutal level, that mediocre people are programmed toward quantity, not quality, as a means of genetic survival. In the face of real sexual attractiveness, the only way for the sub-par to continue their blood-line is to en masse become the fringe cases of society: weight lifters, thirty-year-old strippers, telemarketers, process servers, and the recently added category of dating club addicts. I’m not saying they are bad people, just that there are so many of them only because there are so many of them. If they ever drop below a breeding population, they’ll be extinct within a single generation.
           Is it possible to develop an allergy where none existed before? Not in my understanding, but I’ve got something that matches the explanation. When I cut the weeds alongside the driveway, a day later I get a mild rash when I sit near the open window. The groundskeeper and I are going to experiment by letting him do the cutting. For now, it is cut and run for there is a 100% correlation to the problem.
           That’s how I got to BK for coffee and ran into that spinster lady who never did get to the Keys. I think she may be much older than I think, she is so old-fashioned it bespeaks of a completely different generation. She tells me she sold her Mercedes. If she had a car, what was the big deal about taking off to Key West? She’s nice, friendly, talkative and totally not my type. What is it with women that can’t pick up on that? Or I suppose I could have said she should have by now picked up that by now I’m not picking her up?
           Hacktronics is back in the picture, with an order for some stepper motors. These are not the servo motors you’ll find in remote control vehicles, rather a type of motor that that positions the shaft according to electrical pulses. And who do we know that can program those pulses through an Arduino at 50 times the accuracy of a human? I also ordered a 1602, something you’d recognize as small LCD that prints two lines of data. I can’t harness together most of the components I’ve already got, but I can sure describe how they work. Let’s see if that can be put into practice.
           E24, our member from West Palm, has enrolled in an electronics engineering course. We are already discussing matching the club curriculum to any lab work or assignments, and the sharing of all downloadable materials. You watch, they are going to flood our heads with useless information that has to be learned to pass the exams. That’s how I got sold two programming degrees.
           Trivia. Where does the word “Mediterranean” come from? I knew it meant something but never thought about it. Well, “medi” is Latin for middle and “terra” is Latin for land, to the extent I know any Latin, which I don’t. At first I assumed it was something like “Middle Earth” and all that fairy tale stuff that intrigues me less than real science. Then today I saw some rare old maps. While more accurate maps existed before the religious domination of the west, maps of the Dark Ages showed the center of the world was Jerusalem. Thus, Mediterranean meant the sea of the “middle land”. For the record, those societies that knew it wasn’t so appear to know the same thing and not much more 2,000 years later.