Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

February 1, 2012


           Pictures of pretty women do a blog good. This one, I don’t know about, since the message is all wrong. It’s from an ad for sign-bearers, stating the applicants must be pretty young women. Does this mean it is now okay to sidestep equal opportunity laws? You know the old quip, if it’s true men make more than women, I want to go into modeling.
           Rehearsal has reached a quantum plateau, where extra work does not convert into better performance. I know of no way around this except to keep plugging along until repetition carves the music into your brain. Live presentations demand a minimum level of smoothness and confidence no matter how well the rest goes. In addition, a lot of the guitar work gets repetitious even when done right and this can blur every effort to learn a particular song. This is the reason I choose what the guitarist already likes, and my gladness to find one who listens to the exact same music.
           I stopped at Dekka for coffee. It is quiet and pleasant, so even at $2.50 per cup, a place I can make important decisions. And such decisions are very much part of my day this year. Fortunately, matters are planned out well enough that I have little to do but wait for the effects of those decisions to play out.

           The upswing in small research effort may be detected by long term readers here. I can study, but not take on anything big, but that is coming. One of my side projects is an analysis of Johnny Cash music. His production of consistent unique hits, which I rate far more unique than any musician of today, cannot be explained away. He was a master lyricist able to take homey topics and churn up emotions.
           There is more to it than his lucky hit on the prison theme. I originally began to like his music from noticing how he often changes keys several times during a song, all to chord patterns I used to play on the piano because I thought they sounded neat. But I had taken lessons that taught me patterns weren’t important. But if this new guitarist works out, patterns will become central to anything we create.

           I’m still studying which countries have signed space treaties and have thus learned all manner of knowledge about the early US space program (before it degenerated into the shuttle fiasco). It took NASA six years to organize themselves into basically the same system I’ve always had to make sure things get done right and on time. They may have fancier names and charts, but I was unaware they could ever have tried anything different unless they were like, really dumb in the first place.
           Today, I believe I’ll tour the library to read up on the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs. I’m now quite interested in the organizational aspects of the flights and rocket construction process. Of course, if I had the young, pretty, educated, talented wife that I deserve, I’d be doing something quite different all day. But such is life without money. Now I don’t mean zero money, I mean not enough to outdistance the pack, which is my known best way to compete.

           I see the Dept. of Labor (Bill 3596) is tightening up the rules for call centers. Now, after thousands of the positions are transported overseas. Those operations will not be eligible for federal grants, must have an actual person to answer the phone, and gives the customer the right to demand to talk to somebody in the US. See, your government is behind you all the way. Somewhat more than ten years behind.
           The best thing the government could do for this economy is completely clamp down on the use of credit scores and information. The data must be used only for credit applications and the industry must ask the citizen before releasing the information EACH time it is requested, stating the name and purpose of the requesting party, and prohibiting that third party from storing or passing the information on. Phantom ratings must be outlawed (that’s when they give a rating to people who don’t borrow money, like for instance, myself).
           A thorough search of the Los Angeles area, shows that every person I ever knew in town has moved away, the last having left town in 2003. It’s approaching Spring again and I have my pick of where I’d like to live around here—provided I stay in a mobile home. Prices are collapsing among the French Canadian parks, so I have nothing to lose by waiting. There are some really well-kept places on the market. Houses have to drop by half before I’ll look again.

           [Author's note 2017: houses did not drop significantly because the government stepped in. That was the wrong thing to do. People who overspent deserved to lose their houses, they certainly did not deserve a taxpayer bailout. Essentially the government changed the law so they only had to make interest payments until things stabilized. Or was it the other way around, they only had to pay the principle and the government paid the interest. Either way, the government has no money, so they took it away from the taxpayer one way or another. The whole credit - mortgage system is a scam.]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++