Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, February 2, 2012

February 2, 2012


           Meet Reese’s Pieces, the cat from downstairs at my mechanics apartment. I was chatting with the neighbor, a country gal from West Virginia, when RP came up to me for a rub. Like Pudding-Tat, she is an adopted female, in this case left behind when somebody moved. I like the cat, but the lady isn’t my type. Both her and the cat had three different colors of hair.
           But I am in the market. I responded to an unusual ad today, a lady looking not for romance or the usual, but somebody educated to hang out with. Yes, that is unusual, and not likely something an insincere lady would say. It took me years to admit that so-so women were good company. My corporate job taught me there are plenty of average women who, sad as it seems, have a hard time meeting guys who they don’t have to support.

           [Author’s note: I’ve dated a lot of women who thought of me as the dude who paid his half. That’s kind of sad, I suppose, for me, and I’ve never yet met another woman while I was with one. The downside of dating such ladies is while they feel free to lay tracks, if you smile at another woman, they go ballistic. I’m a firm believer in going dutch because you get to places that would be difficult to afford individually and because of antiquated double-occupancy rules. But I never thought I’d be looking for a woman on that basis the way I am now.]

           So I find a drum kit kit compatible with the Arduino, but like all such devices, the author never explains how it is used. Just endless technical specs but not a word about can I glue this thing to the back of my bass and operate it while I’m on stage? Same with MIDI where the users plug it in and pray it works, but beyond that are as clueless as hell. The kit kit apparently can use software to make sounds, but never discusses how this is done. At the asking price, I may buy one just to see what it can do.

           The perfect weather found me reading a cook book, remember “The Frugal Gourmet”? An opinionated work that contained not a sing recipe I’d care to try, and tells me my omelets should not contain milk or they will be watery. Twenty-five years experience tells me otherwise. Next, I read some chapters of a lively account of the kings of England, but like nothing I’ve read before. I’d skipped the intro which would have told me the book was written in 1132.
           I must be getting out of touch with society. When I hear a tune that I like, for some reason the first thought that crosses my mind is not, “I’ve got to pay 99 cents to download this for my ringtone.” What’s the matter with me?

           Trivia, in this case, trivia I can’t find out. Much has been made about the overwhelming Japanese strength at Midway. But I see the count of warships says the Japanese had 24 while the Americans had 21. In addition, the Americans had a total of 76 ships. What I can’t find out is the actual Japanese total. More trivia, what distinguishes a “cash crop” from other crops? The farmer or his family do not eat a cash crop. And we all know the mafia comes in families. The number of mafia families in America: 24.
           Oh, and those of you who think the west coast has been immune from the housing crisis, a million homes are to be foreclosed in California this year. That’s as many as the entire period of 2008-2011. Shortly after, the wave moves through Oregon and Washington. There are increasing numbers of “middle-class” people on welfare and wow, are they a sniveling bunch of whiners when the shoe isn’t on the other foot. Like I’m ever going to feel sorry for somebody because he lost his $500k condo! Let them borrow cake.

           In club news, the majority says to compromise and continue to learn from integrated circuit chips but only where those chips serve a purpose other than their inherent functions. Singapore tells us that every chip that exists can have its operation duplicated by code. And where logic gates have always perplexed me, there is no such problem with Boolean logic. Plus, Boolean does not lend itself to duplication and mindless complexity. A valid reason to use a chip might be to learn something. But otherwise, we have a swing back to the Arduino code.
           I watched the TV news for the first time since I dunno. America’s still the only place for me but this planet has gone for a dump. All the world does is moan so I say America pack up home and let the savages go at each other’s throats for another 8,000 years. Give them what they ask for.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++