Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, February 25, 2012

February 25, 2012

           Here’s the courtyard at the Kiss CafĂ©. By now, I’ve sampled their wares. Everything is made fresh daily and they use no preservatives. Their day-old bread is already tough for that reason. I’m not the biggest fan of carbohydrates, but you must try their home-made garlic cheese spread. Just don’t try it at least three hours before you go to the library. The atmosphere is very “Seattle” and this patio is in the back of the building, away from the street and traffic.
           One of the Frenchies came by to ask about the pedestal in my front yard. I thought it made this place look classy. I let him have it for free since I was going to throw it away. Guess he never thought I’d be up at 5:00 AM on a Saturday. Actually, I’d been up an hour reading about Spain in 1939. There is no accounting for what piques my interest when I’m not tired.Last evening’s gig is rated a success. We played most of our material and the need for more is definitely better reinforced. For the next few weeks, it boils down to good planning. It turns out Trent may have the required brand of cables to test the PA problem. Good, for there was no budget for purchasing a new set. Nobody knew the problem existed.
           That brings up the finer point that my budgets are always based on a single strategy, never on tactics. Is this important? Definitely. The reason I thrive on a tiny income is due to discipline, not deprivation. Who was it that pointed out that Patton (and his Third Army) had over 100 generals, but only one strategist? That’s me, and whatever my income, I will come bouncing back. In my lifetime, I learned how to do that and it gets quicker after each knockout.
           For unexplained reasons, allow me a moment to draw some distinctions between Amish and Mennonite. The basic similarity is these religions do not believe in child baptism, the reason being a child is not mature enough to make such a decision. Amish are a sect of Mennonites usually called “Old Order”. There are hundreds of different types of Mennonites but all are nonviolent pacifists who do not participate in politics or the military (even in war, killing is considered un-Christian).
           Mennonites have no opposition to technology although individual households have the option to shun everything from electricity to books (but then so does everyone else). True Mennonites do not vote, take oaths (including the Oath of Allegiance) or serve on juries. Mennonites may or may not attend church, but sin is rarely mentioned in services. Sermons focus on doing right.
           Mennonites were promised perpetual religious freedom in the USA, and for good reason, view ALL types of government record-keeping with distrust. (Baptism was originally used to register children as taxpayers, birth certificates are used to draft armies, etc. etc. The list of government abuse of records is endless.) Last important point—Mennonites do not place value on possessions. Any possessions. No matter how much others may want them to. I don’t see your fancy house and car and lifestyle. I see your captivity.
           Vocal practice. I don’t do it because I don’t know how. I sing while playing bass, except at Karaoke. Nor have I ever taken lessons at either, so forgive if I tend to think something is original based purely on the fact I didn’t get it from anywhere else. Which brings me to a singing technique. Robynette taught me about taking quick breaths and I’ve coupled that with a couple ideas from Conway Twitty. When applied properly, it sounds great. You tie the last musical tone of one phrase into the beginning of the next without taking a breath at the obvious spot. Now yer singin’.