Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, February 3, 2012

February 3, 2012


           Perfection is so scarce I’m stunned to see it. Here is the soup aisle at the local market (El Presidente). They must have some new help. Anybody who takes pride in their work gets an A+ from me. This is the first time I’ve ever seen a Florida shelf stocked so expertly. Winn/Dixie, did you hear that? Are you sure you’re not just sayin’ you hear that?
           Once again, over to Dekka for a coffee and work the crossword. Since I’ve been there, every person that comes in sees the potential and talks to the owner. I say owner because they bought the building. Biggest local complaint is that the city is agonizingly slow to develop anything that isn’t downtown. But Hallandale has no downtown. And Hollywood has chased the locals away from their core with noise, bad parking, and stratospheric prices. Around Dekka are plenty of fashion and accessory shops but nothing to tempt traffic off the boulevard, not even a real sign.

           Those small shops would benefit from a coffee house open after 5:00 PM when the working class could shop there. The address is 139 NE 1st Ave, Hallandale Beach, FL though mapquest shows it as “Fashion Row”. The city of Hollywood, the nearest city with a downtown has finally made the parking free, but there isn’t enough of it and a lot of what’s there is reserved for valet parking for patrons who wouldn’t know class if it bit them in the armpit.
           The only place I went out today was to Dekka. I’m not feeling well, see below. Thereafter, Ray-B and I were on the phone for nearly two hours. There is no doubt this town is crying for a country music venue. When I ask people casually, I get more than an enthusiastic response; they will often offer to go to one if it was there. Like Ray-B, I am leery of the agencies with their phony demo tapes and auditions, the best gigs I’ve had in my life were somebody in the audience turning out to be on some social committee.

           There you go, I was aiming to go out on this Friday, but in the end stayed home. There is nothing to do in these parts except go spend money and drink, the two things I never rely on for a good time. I’d thought of the beach but it was a rainy day. Once again, I have no mechanism for doing anything except play music. All my other hobbies are daytime pursuits. I’ll probably read and congratulate myself for not being a couch potato or some married guy on the playboy channel. I’ve got a lady friend looking up more country music and I’m taking a closer look at what could be adapted to sound like country.
           This leads me to trivia, such as Tommy James still touring. I’ve always considered his career to be the one I never had. Did you know he was modeling at the age of four? He’s a generation older than me, but started his stage music career at 12 years old, same as me. Seven years later, a tune they recorded in grade school as a joke made good (Hanky Panky). I take it he had supportive parents for there is no evidence he ever worked a job a single day in his life.

           American Airlines announced they are laying off 9,000 people in Florida, released a day after the government report unemployment was down. Coincidence, Captain? Jackson Memorial is also about to can a few thousand. The Miami Herald’s Bonfire of the Billionaires was a classic, rare for that newspaper. The author totaled up how long the federal government could last if all billionaires and millionaires were taxed 100%. About a year. That’s why every time I think about making some extra cash, I turn to music. Everything else is too much like work. I like work, but I’m not foolish enough to confuse that with making money.
           I promptly got Trent on the blower and we have tentatively stepped rehearsals up to three per week. The existing system is not producing fast enough results and not conducive to the number of hours, indicating to me that solo practice is not working. If so, we cover the same ground using the next least difficult method, which is putting in the time here. It means double the work for me but nobody is about to give up now. If we get over this hurdle, we know we’ll have them on the run.
           Danger. I’m out of the loop again with an upset tummy. That’s twice in a row for me. And stomach trouble something I just don’t get, as in maybe five times in my life since I was a child. Furthermore, both of the last two episodes have been identical and that never happened before. First suspect? The new prescriptions I began last month. Why’s that? Because another symptom is incredible thirst for ice cold water. So I’m really belly-aching this time, but blog rules say the biggest daily event gets published.

           There is a penthouse for rent on Fisher Island. You can find it on the Miami Craigslist, though I have second thoughts whether anyone who reads that rag would have the $18,000 per month rent. Patsie, you better check it out. Maybe it has an ensuite. Notice how I put in a random dig. So she has to read through every post to make sure she doesn’t miss anything. I hope it is a slow burn, there Patsie. Real slow, more of a sizzle. Does anyone else smell burning mukluk?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++