Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, August 9, 2012

August 9, 2012

           Hello from High Springs, Florida. Much as I liked the look of Gainesville (I love a college town), that look told me it was expensive. And there was still an hour of daylight left. Here’s the recap. First, here are the first real hills I’ve seen in years. This motel has no Internet, so I can’t look up the town. I missed standing on a hill looking at a valley, okay, Florida? Hold on, it came to me. Clermont is the town.
           I’m only 355 miles from start, that reflects the two hour delay getting underway this morning. Most of that was a grueling trip out of town to Highway 27, I made the mistake of taking Griffin and hit every red light to the max. The traditional first stop is Moore Haven, a nothing sugar town east of Lake Okeechobee with a Burger King.
           Most traffic does not stay on 27 because for a buck fifty, you can avoid the countless red lights from Sebring north. Then again, I am always suspicious in these hick towns when you start hitting consecutive red lights. There is not much scenery until you get north of Sebring anyway. Traffic was light, I made one extra stop for sunscreen at the Dollar Store in Moore Haven, which I said I’d mention to the babe who works there.
           I’ll delay the motorcycle statistics another day, as I’d like twice as many miles done before running the numbers. Guess 36 mpg. But it is working out to the predicted ten cents per mile when gas is $3.80. I was on the road six hours, notice my average speed did not vary much from the 55 mph best ride, although I had to boot it up past 60 a couple times.
           Is there anything new to see. Yes, an open area called “Payne’s Prairie”. It is a flat area of sinkholes that ran together until they formed a big flat depression. It doesn’t have any prairie grasses, but it looks flat because of the water table, and the aroma is definitely sweet grass prairie. Farm kids know these things, and that smell is total prairie. Here is the scene from the wooden walkway off the highway crossing.
           Around this area, I also hit cooler weather, but that still means it is over 80 and broiling. I want to get north of the “thermocline” before I head west. The frost line may not exist this time of year, and this is the first summer trip since 2003. I believe I mentioned the Honda motor throws off a lot of heat (radiant energy) so leather footwear is the rule. Even then, if you rest too close on the footpegs, you’ll bake it. I remember this from my Honda when I was fourteen.
           Another thing that has not changed is the Honda “one down four up” gearbox. That means there is a spot where you pass neutral both accelerating and decelerating, so there can be some lively toe work and grinding noises if you don’t it right.
           I met and talked to about five people who were attracted by the sidecar. All locals, so nobody to ride with yet. I must look the archetypical traveler, since a few strangers knew when I wanted gas or food. So, no exciting events, but all the finances are within budget. That’s $37 on gas, $30 on food, $8 on sunscreen, and I found a $40 motel. I know some folks won’t stay in one, but I developed an eye for the clean and safe ones while I was living in Venezuela. And I’ve never been wrong.
           In fact, the one I’ve got here is quite large and clean. My budget only allows for economy overnights but I will point out these rooms are on a par with some of the best available in S. America when I was there. There was a time, except for downtown in the Capitals, a suite like this was the best you were going to find.
           Also, I tend to stay away from restaurants on the road. I said tend, I’ll often get a coffee at BK, as I did today. I’ve got the money, but restaurants make it super difficult to maintain a strict diet like mine. That’s also why I rarely camp unless I’m camping. On this trip, I’d have to buy what, $300 worth of gear, so rooms are cheaper. And you save the setup and takedown time. Camping is fine, if you stay in one place a few days. On this trip, however, getting there is all the fun.
           Today’s expenses were $115.21, slightly over budget. Riding the motorcycle leaves you exposed to the elements. I have a stinging patch over my right elbow and somehow got a splinter in my left toe (now extracted). Throw is some healthy looking wind tan where my shirt lifts in the wind and I’m lookin’ healthy. I am beyond tired of the kind you’d expect from a day of shingling. This cowboy is going to sleep tonight.