Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

March 12, 2013

           Under-success? It appears my biggest supplier, Hacktronics, of California, has folded. The web pages have disappeared and my contacts don’t reply to e-mails. Too bad, I am on the verge of a logic gate breakthrough. See my notes in this photo. When something refuses to make sense, it is time to employ modern learning theory, to apply the best that the teaching profession has to offer, and bring it to bear. I did just that as shown here. They are called “flashcards”.
           Over-success? That’s today’s trivia. When Germany invaded Russia in 1941, they blitzed the enemy communication centers just like they had in western Europe. How could that be a problem? It seems they had gotten so good at it that for the first two weeks, the defeated Russian frontier forces had no way to let the Stavka know they had been beaten. Thus, the remainder of the armed forces continued to fight on, thinking things were not that bad. This resistance didn’t stop the Germans, but in the final analysis, it slowed them down just enough.
           The Internet as we know it has gone for a dump. It was supposed to free up information to be instantly shared by mankind, but in fact America has buried that information beneath festering layers of bullshit advertising. And what America does, the world will follow. What am I talking about? Tell you what, let’s check the Internet for some fast information and see if you can find it first try. That’s what is supposed to happen. If it does, I’ll apologize to you on this blog.
           The test involves you looking for some specific information where you do not already know the net address of where to look. That is a fairly realistic Internet situation, I’d say. And I want specific results, not the layers of books or chat rooms or memberships or clubs or trial offers or forums or press 1 for English or read reviews, or lists of phone numbers or further links or more nonsense. I want the address of the actual item for sale and the price.
           You have five minutes to find me a used Fishman Solo PA in south Florida for $499. It is there and properly advertised on its own. I’m challenging you to find it, to cut through the completely bastardized search system that will fill your computer with false, unwanted advertising. Beware of fake-out sites like Guitar Center who always lie and say they have one, waste your time and then say sorry. If the Internet works like it is supposed to, five minutes should be plenty.
           Ahem, having a little trouble? Can’t get past all the crap? That’s what I’m talking about. Trying to find any spare parts is also a major hassle. Most of the web sites that list have no store, no stock, no inventory, but they can ship it to you overnight for a massive delivery fee. And all you wanted was the directions to drive over and buy it now. Worst, these idiotic listing sites use SEO to push what you were looking for off the first three web pages, knowing you won’t keep scrolling. Advertising is the cancer of the Internet.
           You know what I like about Ukrainian rye bread? It tastes exactly the same after a good month in the fridge. I like my smoked herring on rye, and I liked it more after pushing the red scooter 1.6 miles at noon today. That took me 70 minutes of light aerobics but at least I still can. The world looks different after a heart attack. Adaptation is easy concerning less physical power as you simply avoid lifting heavy things. What gets to you is the loss of stamina and you can’t dodge that. You head home, you make sandwiches and coffee. You fall asleep for two hours.
           That scooter should be ready by Friday, but I’ll accept delays for the low price I paid. I was busy an impressive six hours over getting this done today. I wound up charging the eBike up at Jimbos and sitting on a tree stump outside waiting for it. I fell asleep sitting upright on that stump, but the winter weather in south Florida lets you do things like that. I also heard of another casualty I can’t quite place. The club owner of Wiley’s is no more. A suicide, I heard.
           Still no Fishman? I’m not surprised. The latest search engines just pile garbage on you. The Fishman I referred to is on “south florida” (sic) Craigslist. Part of the lure of this item is the weight. Less than 30 pounds. This is achieved by using piezo speaker technology. Somehow, and don’t ask me, the Solo does not require the big bass box of the three-times-more-costly Bose system. There have been complaints that the Fishman reverb cannot be turned off, but I could live with that.
           While we’re talking prices, get ready for a surge in anything with electronic components. I went to order some ordinary switching transistors (NPN 2222's), a hundred for thirteen. Not any more. They are now individually wrapped for $1.29 each. Isn't that 1000% inflation? Every supplier in the land at the same time and price, too.

ADDENDUM
           Now for a tale from the trailer court you are not going to believe. It has nothing to do with this picture I lifted off some generic site. May this boost my ratings. It certainly is representative of my memories of 1984.
           Hiking back to Jimbos for the eBike, I stopped in for a beverage. Empty joint, I don’t usually go there, except the barmaid and a housewife yakking at the counter. My hearing is 20/20. They were talking about “two med students” they picked up back in the 80’s during spring break. The guys had been driving a black TransAm Firebird. I looked over and yes, these ladies were babes thirty years ago. Aha, April 1984, RofR, Dr. Jose, LoJolla. As I breezed out the exit, I quickly asked if they were “talking about Ft. Walton Beach”.
           Guys, guys, the priceless look on their faces!