Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, June 30, 2013

June 30, 2013

Yesteryear
One year ago today: June 30, 2012, looking at West Palm.
Five years ago today: June 30, 2008, Ford fan belts.
Six years ago today: June 30, 2007, watching the market implode.

           What is this picture? Some street signs in Ft. Meyers Beach? Nope, so pay attention because this might help you out. Look even closer and you will see just right of center what looks to be a baggie of water hanging from the rafter. See it? Ignore all the background till you see it. Every open area of this pub, “SOBs”, had a bag of water handing on a string. I could not figure it out, so I asked. They say it keeps the flies out of the building.
           That’s new to me. And it appeared to be working. The only way to tell would be if there were any flies around, but there weren’t. Has anyone ever seen this before? SOB is short for Smoked Oyster Bar, but the photo last day, which was intentional, was meant to make some people think they spotted it first. (As you know, I am not too kind to uneducated people who find this blog by mistake. They don’t belong here. How does one know if they are too uneducated to be here? Ask the question, does anything I say make you fuming livid?)
           Sunday meant an afternoon at band rehearsal, where it appears we got many “likes” on Facebook. That does not impress me, however, Facebook being what it is. I want paying gigs, and I confess I am beginning to wonder if much is forthcoming. I understand this band, like many, is touchy about freebies, but where does the freebie end and pump-priming begin?
           These guys draw the line differently. I’d like a commitment as much as anyone, but I’d rather play a free show at a joint that does not have to set up shop to hire us. Like the VFW, the Moose, or the Legion. We did the animal society, which has no hall or music budget. They could not hire us if they wanted to, since they would pretty much have to make a profit to pay us. But guys, this isn’t Texas. Benefits are worse than free because there is no potential.
           The good news is we can jam every tune on our original list, which takes the pressure off me. Today we ran through tunes from the 60s for fun. Who remembers “White Rabbit”, “I’m Not Your Stepping Stone”, “Purple Haze”, “Hey Joe”, and “To Love Somebody”. Back in my day, hit songs had a much greater diversified sound and often a lot more instruments in the background. But that is a broad statement.

           Here is JZ chowing down on oysters. I told you we were different individuals. I don’t even like to look at clams and oysters. This guy piles on the horseradish and pepper sauce and digs in. We have this deal, see. He thinks my hat, my Gilligan fish hat chases the women away. Say’s JZ, we’ll never get any women as long as I wear that hat. How does it work? Well, see that shirt he is wearing. Aha. Gotcha. That shirts looks like my grandmother’s quilt. If he gets to wear that shirt, see. . . .
           Today is officially over at 8:40 PM for me. I didn’t tell you this, but I have very sensitive skin and I cannot swim in salt water and immediately jump into the shower to rinse off. The sea water changes my skin chemistry, which itself has changed since ten years ago. If I rinse, I get a burning sensation that lasts half a day. I have to wait 36 hours, which is right about now. Also, I cannot tolerate salt water on my scalp, so I’m a wader, not a swimmer. I have never heard of anyone else having this condition. Here’s me in the drink as deep as I’ll ever get, and to think I used to scuba dive and snorkel.


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++