Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, September 6, 2013

September 6, 2013

           Zonk, did I sleep in until noon. That’s what used to happen on my days off when I worked. You lose a half-day catching up on sleep. Of all today’s options, which included a trip to the used book sale at the Broward Main Library or a trip to Miami, I chose to linger at the bakery for a second large coffee. One of the ladies always comes in and eats a slice of pie. Not just any pie. It is chocolate with rum and raspberry jam more like a cake. I get to watch. Me, with my decaf and artificial sweetener from a plastic cup. Life ain’t fair. If it was fair, the mice would eat all the Florida roaches and go away because the food was gone.
           I got food on the brain. This candy tastes really terrible. I’ve hated it since the days people on my paper route gave it to me for Halloween. This is today’s trivia. I was surprised nobody has come up with a really clever or dangerous use for these packets. You probably know you can “recharge” these by drying them out in the oven, 250F for two hours. Don’t microwave them as that changes the chemistry. There is no magic to this material, it is simply extremely porous and soaks up moisture out of the air. It is beads because the absorption happens only on the surface of the crystals. A block of this material would not work.
           On a day off, I read the newspaper. I really like states that have a “send-them-the-bill” policy, and I see Washington state is about to nail that hunter who set the forest fires for $80 million. Serves him right. But I don’t know about WalMart employees complaining that they can’t raise a family on such low wages. Unless they can prove Walmart forced them into that situation, I can’t take their side. While I agree all jobs in America should pay a living wage, does living extend to raising a family? I had to forego getting married when I was young because I could not afford kids. Others could benefit by showing the same self-control.
           A magnet train ran 310 mph in Japan. We won’t see this in America in my lifetime, but there is one encouraging aspect I really like. At that speed, the trains cannot corner, so the railway line has to be as straight as possible. This limits the number of jerkwater towns that can demand a station. I believe the priority for these trains, initially at least, should be long-distance hauls in direct competition to the airlines. I feel the delays and congestion are due to bad airport location and design, but something has to lambaste them and the airlines aren’t up to the task.
           I like the idea of across America in a day. One, maybe two stops, limited to fifteen minutes. Denver or Houston, say, but that’s it. Nothing west of them but mountains and desert, nothing east but tax collectors and bad politicians. If somebody has to go to John Day, let him take the bus or a spur line. For now, we pull the camper and stay where we can. How is that coming along, anyway?
           The solar panels measure out to 36” square, that is, each of three panels is 1 foot by 3 foot. That leaves no space on the roof of my trailer at all. I had hoped to put a cargo rack up there but the panels need to be in direct sunlight. There has to be a carrier for the eBike, as the Honda is too expensive to run around town. Everything will be cramped except the sleeping area. I have not yet bought the solar panels.
           The reviews on this product are mixed, with new people generally liking them and seasoned users finding them too cheap with outdated materials. I have little choice, it is the only 45 Watt system in my price range. At $150, I don’t care if it only lasts three years. My thinking is if this arrangement is like other electric products, the one sure way to learn the technology is to buy one. We are still well within budget.
           And that budget just ran over the $300 mark. Most expensive parts? Plywood. The budget does not include tools I’ve had to buy, such as a jab saw (keyhole saw), paint trays, clamps, and such that will not be part of the finished camper. I wrote a “gas consumption simulator” that piggy-backs off GPS distances that can calculate gasoline costs using published prices per gallon. Right now, the chosen route I’d take, via Albuquerque and John Day would cost me $292 one way.
           The budget does include some items purchased years ago in anticipation of this camper, but nothing serious. I’ve found some products, such as PVC cement, have a shelf life of around six years even when properly stored. That’s a load of crap, particularly liquid products that are petroleum based. They should last forever in a sealed metal container.
           Here is the camper with the side walls being fitted. Shown here is a temporary fit to check the dimensions. The light wooden frame shown is also temporary. Note all panels are primed before usage to ensure there are no major openings for moisture to attack the wood. No exposed saw cuts. Once again, the final exterior color will be black.
           For security, the plan is to use those infrared sensors, the ones called driveway alarms. Or anything similar that picks up anyone approaching the trailer box. Not that I would park in a dangerous place but I don’t care for curious people unless they look one awful lot like my Zumba instructress. Who is off to Hungary for the past few weeks. Family money is always nice.