Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, October 19, 2013

October 19, 2013

           Nine days behind schedule, and I will regret this delay. I’m still not ready to leave and the test run may coincide with my departure. That’s taking a chance. But it is also top level adventure. Like marriage or having children, if you wait until you’re ready, it will never happen. I spent the entire daylight hours rigging up the wire mesh cage for the solar panels. They are better than nothing.
           I’m welding the PVC rack that holds the mesh. It will cut the sunlight but will also disguise the panels so they look like a luggage carrier. My plan is to settle for less power but for longer periods of the day. My calculations show the battery will powered up in six hours even on cloudy days. (If it rains, you’ll find me at the nearest motel. I don’t camp in the rain.)
           Ah, it is so nice to work when one has all the right tools and adequate space. It took a while to collect a nice tool set again after the incident with Wallace. What, you don’t remember that? He was supposed to pay rent half the year and let me rent his room the other six months. But he refused to commit to any schedule so I was stuck paying the rent myself or be out a place to live. So for nearly 30 months, I had to use what tools I had brought with me in my Cadillac when I moved here. Then he complains my workmanship isn’t perfect. What a twit.
           The neighbors are showing up again and one of them came over to chat. He wants to connect solar panels so I said to ask me when I get back. He lived in a cabin in the Catskills, where I may have driven through but don’t recall. To me, all mountain passes look alike from the highway at 60 mph. It’s up there near the Carolinas I think.

           Here is another shot of the roof rack. The mesh is half installed as it is being fitted. The white PVC pipe will be painted black to match the camper shell. I am still hesitant over running the panel cables through the ceiling as they have to be easily removable and any type of hole in the roof means it has to be watertight. The only method I know is to goop it. And the mesh has to be removable so I can dust the panels.
           Google is messing around with their HMTL code again. It is difficult to resize photos once they are up loaded. The constant yanking around with code should diminish as a product reaches maturity, but it seems Google, Javascript, and MicroSoft have never learned to leave well enough alone. If you’ve notice most other blogs look pretty much alike, there is your explanation. The authors don’t know code and publish using the defaults. The problem is, programmers are nerds and their default often has no basis in reality.
           The only remaining activity tonight is bingo. And quite a bingo it was. Shades of the good old days. Well, almost. Three new people showed up and had some pretty incredible beginner’s luck. Why would that affect me? Look in the tip jar. How bad was the evening (tip-wise)? One of the worst. Only the old-timers tip well. This would be a good point to state my view on tipping, a very common argument on Craigslist.
           Despite the fact that I derive income from tips, I still believe tipping is optional. Those who insist that tipping is compulsory always have an ulterior motive. If tipping is required, then it is part of the price and not a tip at all. I despise the establishments that add a tip, usually 15%, to the cash register tab. I disagree with the practice of underpaying the staff and expecting them to “make it up in tips”. And worst, I loathe the employees who hover for a tip, as if you owe them for having such a deadbeat career. Tipping is not an American custom. If you don’t like your job, put the buck-buck-bucket down.

ADDENDUM
           I’m experiencing much indecision about the phlebotomy course. The same $1200 could prove significant if applied to any number of on-going projects. Imagine the robot or the camper if I plowed another grand into either. But this has not stopped me from reading as much material as I can find on the topic. There isn’t much to find unless you glom onto a used book store like Sheridan Tech.
           There is so little available at the public libraries that I’m creating more questions than get answered. Why does pasteurization take place at 63 degrees? (Not the process used to treat milk, but the laboratory sterilization temp.) What is special about that temperature that it must be cooled if it goes over?
           One of the more popular courses at Sheridan Tech is gaming machine technician. I knew a bartender in the early 90s who took such a course. He is now jetting all over the Caribbean. He had the unlikely name of Meladden Dichlich. Hey dude, if you read this, it is me, the bassist from the California. Leave a comment, I have some business I would like to discuss.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++