Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

October 29, 2013

           Today isn't officially over yet, but trust me, use a computer when and where you can. I still can't locate a library with a card reader nor a store along the path that sells them. Maybe later today, as I intend to stop early. I am currently in Gainesville, the one in Texas. And I just came from the Hungry Hippo sandwich shop. Yep, for the first time this week, I'm full.
           I left New Boston, TX, an hour late after sleeping in. I took a familiar route, Highway 82 via Paris. I made a special stop at the Bookaneir (Like Buccanner, but the sign is missing letters.) I got talking to the proprietor again. Ah, darned if he does not report all or at least many of the concerns I had about eBay years ago. That they were taken over by corporate apes who would run the business into the ground bleeding it for every penny they could.
           The Bookanier says the watchword is "eBaygate", but I say the regulatory agencies don't work right on big business. They turned a blind eye on Madoff, AIG, Enron, and they will not stop whatever eBay is up to. On a smaller level, the book place confirmed what I knew n 2005: eBay will continue to squeeze small businesses out with niggling fees and excessive delays. eBAy is not the startup little guy any more. Any semblance that they are for the independent small businessman was sold out years ago. Look at what happened with Paypal.

           I've been getting too much sleep due to fatigue from the road. Bikers will tell you this happens a few days into each trip until you "harden up". But it is relaxing and we are not worried about the money running out. That's a first in my life when travelling. Seriously, even in my corporate cubicle days, I was always slightly worried about money when out of town. Here is a small town classic, a Haunted House made out of hay bales (it's there but you really have to look across the street). I miss Texas.
           I'm 528 miles behind schedule but the trip has been so nice, nobody cares. Mind you, nothing major has gone wrong either. Even the noisy front axle turned out to be a loose speedometer cable. Shakes and rattle are expected on a machine this old. And the prairie stars are incredible. That's one thing I miss. You cannot see the stars in Florida (due to light pollution).
           The GPS makes maps hard to find but not obsolete. I've been on too many "GPS Goose-chases" to not keep a map handy. I'm stopping at Walmart for a small tarp because I like leaving the hatch open on clear nights. Both bulbs throw out brilliant and conspicuous light. The tarp will block that and on my next camper, which I'm already planning, there will be provisions for this. Pop-up? I'm not sure now that I know two feet of height from the waist up is plenty. But amenities are certainly on the way.
           I classify camping as semi-primitive if there is no running water. This is not an obstacle in America. I will slope the roof on the next camper and extend the body a foot. Add another inch of foam rubber and some storage bins. The amounts of money being saved not paying for motels is more than funding all these extras on the road.
           Last, I gained nothing by avoiding the Walmart parking lot. This photo shows how far away I thought I would be from the noise. The Shell is open 24 hours and there must be a truck pump nearby. I managed to chose a spot 300 feet from the busiest overnight intersection in Texas. I have a white noise generator in the camper, but still did not sleep that soundly. And the morning staff starts at 3:30 AM. So there was banging and clanging around all night. I'm a pretty sound sleeper and I have the white noise machine. So I slept like a log, more like oak than mahogany.
           But I'm learning.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++