Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, November 7, 2013

November 7, 2013

           This is as far as I get on this trip, Yakima, WA. Everett called to say the winter is too severe and not to wait for a warm spell. The good news is my people don't have to ask a million questions to get things done for me. By noon, a few extra dollars got everything expedited and I am now a corporate entity in the State of Washington. Alas, my task was made much more difficult by a Canadian lady I met years ago who turned out to be cruel and cynical in her old age. She was almost the one, but I held back because she had a viscous mother hen streak that controls her entire life. Here is downtown Yakima, now rated an historic district. No less.
           If all works right, and it should, I'll be heading sourth toward The Dalles tomorrow or the weekend at the latest. Here is a photo of me entering Oregon last week, but it is typical of the scenic routes I take, well off the freeways. I also sent Mitch a few pictures of the old place in Yakima, how in the past 48 hours I'd spent more time and money here than all the earlier times combined. I've spend $262.70 here. The city has changed and seems to have a disproportionate number of homeless men.
           It also appears less affluent, but I judge that by a rash of small details. Soup kitchens, empty malls but booming at the Goodwill. A slight drop in mercury and you get twenty stalled vehicles on the major streets--a sure sign people don't have money for routine maintenance. By comparison, I am very well-outfitted to survive.
           In one case, both lanes were blocked by stalled cars. I simply got off the batbike and walk-pushed it past on the sidewalk. I was careful to make that look like hard work. From my family I learned nothing pisses a peasant off faster than defeating his right to block your way with his petty problem.
           It has been getting a degree or so cooler every 24 hours, and this picture shows your typical morning since a week ago. I bit that $35 on the jacket I bought in Aurora (it was not quite warm enough), and bought a new winter parka. An Eddie Bauer. I also found a great breakfast spot: the Sub Shop of Yakima, downtown location. Met the server, a gal from Oklahoma. Spritely, but not musical. Later I found a buritto joint south on 1st Street, with helpings so large for the first time I could not finish one.
           [Author's note: I seem to be missing around twenty photos from my unreliable Nikon camera. The missing items include all my photos of these shops and placles in Yakima, the special motorcycle training course I took, and the little bit of partying I did once my official business was complete. What? The motorcycle course is one of those things that totally establishes to the future that I must have been in Yakima when I said I was, that's why. But that camera. It's as if one of the automatic folders created by the unit just deleted itself. Up yours, Nikon.]
           Union Gap, the pass between the south range [of hills] was a couple of tarpaper cigar stands last time I saw it. The Sub Shop lady informs me most of the major downtown businesses began relocating to Union Gap ten years ago. She's right, that place is happening compared to a lean and hungry-looking Yakima.
           I get to head back early because I made some decisions two years ago, the correctness of which at that time I could only guess. With a little pride, I say I was right. Pride? Yes, because it was a complicated process at the time, right out of my field and my league. Thus, the only asset on my side was common sense, and it looks like that could be decisive soon enough.

ADDENEDUM
           The return trip must be down I-5. There are no direct roads from Yakima, so this choice appears counter-intuitive until you consider the weather. Through The Dalles via the Portland bypass is the fastest way out of this winter. The drummer [from my band] wrote today inquiring about my progress. That can only mean the lady singer is in. Oh well, the band knows I learned 45 new songs in six weeks, so there is nothing to worry about.
           It has been 14 days in the pod and I'm sleeping great. I am completely sold on the concept now that I got here on $409 gas (the total will be slightly more due to side trips). By extrapolation, I could have made the coast on $440 and that is good enough for me. Considering the total cost of the alternatives, this was a cheap way to travel.
           Leaving the USA to tour later in life was not a bad idea at all, providing you have enough money. It was RofR's idea, long ago.
           See this photo? That is what a $5.00 snack on the freeway looks like. America can no longer provide a drink and piece of chocolate for a dollar.