Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

August 27, 2014

Yesteryear
One year ago today: August 27, 2013,
Swift or Cyrus? Pick the babe.
Five years ago today: August 27, 2009, college advice.
Ten years ago today: August 27, 2004, zero calories.

           This is a woodcut of a nearly-famous steamship. I was not going to publish the following tale from the trailer court, but then I thought it might prove interesting to those who find a weaving thought process a good indicator of natural curiosity or, dare one say, intelligence. It is also the last day of this month I could have gone on a trip for more than one day. So, I'll give up both the tale and the trip for your amusement.
           Feeling chipper, I drove up to the memoir club meeting and endured two hours of poetry and fiction. I no longer follow the group by reading along a transcript, rather I just lean back and listen. It seems I'm the first in their history to do so as a rule. I find it easier to to listen rather than get distracted by sub-standard spelling, punctuation, grammar, and typesetting.
           The one okay-looking lady was there again, but like myself, she leaves early. So we've never met. One rapidly learns the more talented writers show up on time, so their material is read first. You can usually leave by 9:00PM and miss little. Now stay with me here, a lot of people in the room are there to see what they can use as a function of their own lack of real creativity. There is nothing wrong with that, but occassionally you get a few really good types who probably don't belong there.
           One was the man whose writing was just plain different from the pack. Plus, unlike myself, he works hard at always having a nice disposition. Thus, he is popular with the poorest of writers in the room. You might say, "He's one of those type who is so nice a box of pencils would last him twenty years."
           I immediately saw through it and asked for his business card. Sure enough, he owns his own theatrical production company. So, unlike myself, he as motives to work hard at having a nice disposition. And that box of pencils phrase is entirely my own original creation. If you like it, well, I have nothing to gain by being humble or modest about being the author. I claim full credit and I've got every intention of finding out more about that production company.
           Last day I mentioned ground-penetrating radar. To a few inquiries, I would point out that there are few natural beaches on the Florida Atlantic coast to use such things. The sand is replaced, sometimes annually, and it isn't even real sand. So one could say don't waste time looking for treasure there, or one could say look because that's where nobody else would have bothered. Then, before the "Lucy" movie, there was a trailer for "Tusk", which appears to be a take-off on the species improvement theme in "Lucky Man".

           Tying these things together, at least in my mind (with all its attendant limitations) I'm again reminded of the team that salvaged the gold from the SS Central America. They looked deeper than anyone else to discover the ocean bottom is much more stable than the coastal mud flats that buries most wrecks. Don't be surprised if you don't recognize this treasure ship, as the media is obsessed with the more colorful Mel Fisher of Key West, that "short-sighted schoolteacher from Indiana".
           Well, fact is, the team that went after the SS Central America was far more organized than Fisher, and had better underwater instruments. In the "Tusk" trailer, there was a few lines that convinced me I will have to see that movie. The old man makes a quote and the reporter smugly tells him, "Ernest Hemmingway said that."
           "Yes," replies the old man, "but he said it to me."

           How this links together is sonar remained the same for years until somebody figured out you could turn in sideways and get better pictures of the ocean bottom. Isn't that what nobody has done with ground-penetrating radar? If I had one, I would definitely point it, not at the Florida beaches, but where the original coastline was before the sand was trucked in.
           You know, I've still got the book on this somewhere. I should read it again, it details the horrid nature of greedy people. In my own life, I've seen the greediest people are also the laziest. They do nothing with their lives but lie in wait. Things in their lives that have no value suddenly become priceless the moment somebody else finds a use for them. And, like my own family, they would rather completely destroy it than let you get ahead. Where is that book? It's in the bedroom. What, Ken? Well, dude, you have no idea how many books are in my bedroom. That's books, guy, not magazines.
           To emphasize my theory on the greed-laziness connection, when the shipwreck was found and a hundred million dollars in gold brought up, the insurance company who did none of the work filed suit. They had paid the insurance claim in the 1850s and, they argued, it was therefore their gold. Don't you just hate such people? (In the end, they were awarded 8%. Which was still far too much for such non-gold-diggers, if you'll pardon the pun.)

           See this bike motor? Six times the size of other bike motors. It has a range of 100 miles and works on 96 volts. If you have not seen this before, it is because the unit was originally made for an electric car with one such motor on each wheel. We have not yet solved the problem of finding spokes heavy duty enough to fit this onto a regular bicycle rim. The motor is too heavy to consider a front-wheel drive.
           The club spent this afternoon poring over bicycle specs. Some conclusions reached were that a seven-speed bicycle rarely uses all the gears. This effect is enhanced when electric-powered. The rider quickly finds his own low-medium-high and forgets the rest. Thus, later today we will convert the Jamis to a three-speed using, if possible, only the pedal crank. The smaller bicycle motors could then be fitted to both front and back wheels, which Agt. M says is superior for climbing hills. This is Florida. What hills?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++