Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, January 24, 2015

January 24, 2015


MORNING
           This the giant African snail. Captured in Florida, it is clear anyone who imports these things should be shot. The snail is a generalist feeder, in that it is not fussy. It is known to devour over 500 types of plants. There is another cold spell on the way, meaning I’m indoors. So you get lots of trivia today. Enjoy.
           In my first ever quote from the Drudge Report, the world’s 11th top blog, here is Bill Gates advocating a cashless society. Proving once again being a stupid twit is no barrier to being born rich. As the article points out, having digital cash exposes it to instant confiscation. And don’t think they aren’t planning it. As I wrote a decade ago, I’m curious what will replace cash. There will always be some form of anonymous currency—but will it always be legal tender?

           Trivia. How many generals served in the US military during WWII? It seems most people would guess between 50 or 60. In fact, it was 1,100. Generals up the yingyang. Of 40 deaths, only 18 were attributable to enemy action, including a couple killed in Jap POW camps. The rest died during or shortly after the war. For example, Teddy Roosevelt, Jr., who went ashore on D-Day, was given a division to command five weeks later and dropped dead of a heart attack later that day. Plop!
           The Germans had 3,363 generals, but almost a thousand of them died in service or went missing in action. I consider the German number somewhat too high as they count Major-Generals as well and that’s a judgment call. It is very difficult to get a straight answer how many generals and admirals are in the US military today, but it appears to be 873. That does not include the Air Force, which has 2,040 generals of its own. Thus, there are more admirals than there are combat ships and more generals than there are combat aircraft.

           [Author's note: it is mentioned elsewhere in this blog, but remember our famous General Patton? After the war, it was discovered only 7 of the German generals had ever even heard of him.]

           Assuming all such ranks have 20+ years of service, the rate of pay for each one is $186,000 per year. Give or take their monthly $224 food allowance and $225 hostile fire pay. Like ever! Worst ratio of generals to troops (tail to teeth), Canada, with 873 generals, one for every 132 men. And half of those 132 are other non-combatant officers and clerk-typists.

NOON
           Ten years ago, when I didn’t yet know or admit there was nothing out there, I’d have been out all day Saturday. Now, I’m contentedly at my work desk and happy, too. I built the case, or box, for the solar panel controller. I say “case” because I’ve learned to make these boxes five or more times more strong than necessary. I could probably stand on [top of] the average small case I make these days. I’m even re-considering one of those Kreg pocket hole systems, which I think are vastly over-priced.
           But right now, I predrill holes for bamboo splints that I glue in place, and these need to be dry-fitted several times. Kreg claims their procedure eliminates that step and now they have my attention. This photo shows such a box on the right side, the metal disk on top is just a weight for the glue to dry. The tiny pin-like bamboo pegs can be made out along the edges.

           The blue object with the round cutouts is part of the frame that will clamp my sander down, turning it into a bench tool rather than hand held. Other familiar gadgets are visible also, showing the perpetual problem I have with space. There is never enough room to get anything done. Not that a bigger place will help, but it is something I’d like to have just once in my life.
           I’ve got another batch of glue to dry, so I’m considering the foreign theater. The offerings are Al Pacino in a, get this, role of an older actor who scores with a younger woman and realizes he can’t keep up. Now, who do you suppose came up with a crazy plot like that? Or the other choice, about a young, together babe who gets it on with her kid brother’s favorite musician. Come on, which movie should I go see? Old guy scores with young babe or babe scores with musician?

AFTERNOON
           It was the musician movie, called “Song One”. It was a movie, so I give it an exact 5.0, because that is average. While professionally made, it comes across as one of those “what shall we do today” productions that uses existing props and sets, then films the rest in dingy clubs and alleys. Myself, I am no fan of the traveling troubadour guitar image and this movie lionizes the role. The music scenes are right out of the 1980s updated with contemporary Internet lingo. And, call me old fashioned, but get an actress. A blond one. Kelly Bundy type. That's all the role demanded.
           It’s my money and I like women easy on the eyes. Next, I fitted the now-glued pieces for my sander to discover, as has happened before, I cut the pieces the exact opposite, as in mirror-image. Ah, but that’s why I chose to learn on wood. And what’s more, these pieces were cut full-speed with no cutting mistakes, only the design was backwards. I’m learning. And the picture is totally irrelevant. I think it is the upgraded Popemobile.

           Once again, the foreign movie place takes the award for best local night spot. It is professionally managed and the lobby has the wondrous aroma of popcorn. Which I can’t even touch. I still mean to take my next formal date there and have a glass of wine. I’ve learned to prefer mornings and matinees, and there is something right about walking out of a theater in the middle of winter in one’s shirt sleeves.
           I made a pot of tea and surfed at bit. Interesting how the same four bassists have been running the same ad every day for six months anyway. The musician’s list here is a wasteland. Everybody wants to join a working band and it is always a guitar player pushing to add keyboards, or a rhythm guitar, or more vocals. So he can “really shine” I suppose.
           Then a few documentaries on Africa. Really, I don’t care to keep up with present-day changes over there. And the historical documentaries are poorly made. That’s “square kilometers”, you doofus narrators, not “kay-emm-two”. And Lexus today announced it is no longer pursuing the electric car market. No money in it. Live for today.

EVENING
           Home before dark, I watched a few training videos, mostly how-to’s. The first thing you learn is most of the Internet generation don’t have a clue how to make a video. Most common technique for the nerd-gang who will never amount to a thing: point your camera at something you’ve never seen before and keep making that goof-laugh. That’ll net you an Emmy. If they ever have a ‘tard category, that is.
           Meanwhile, I continued building boxes for the cPod electronic gear. The new arrangement has all these piece along the centerline in an overhead console. There will be nothing but mattress on the floor of the cabin, and thus removing the camper lid also removes all the electronics. This will convert the wagon base into a regular haulage trailer. Remember, I intend to move as soon as possible. I’ve long since outgrown this place. Everything I do gets in the way of something else.

           Shown here is an example of the controller being fitted into its water-resistant box. These tight fits and fine tolerances are made possible by the new generation of tools around here. This photo shows the bottom and sides, the top is not yet fitted. Yes, that is scrap lumber, but what were you expecting? It’s body armor, not a jewelry box.
           Trivia. The farthest a shout can be heard over open water is 528 feet. So don’t bother, Gilligan. But the record distance a mirror flash has been detected is 105 miles. Has anyone else noticed you cannot overtype the msn.com URL when it defaults after logging off their email site? Way to go, MicroSoft. If people don’t like you, use coercion.
           And last, I saw many videos on how to build hidden compartments inside household objects. All I can add is that you don’t want to be hiding money or valuables inside objects that look like scrap. If you are going to stash money inside a 2x4 or something, make sure it is bolted to a wall or won’t otherwise get thrown out or tossed into the fireplace.


Last Laugh
Here's advice for the politically correct:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++