Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

January 27, 2015


MORNING
           This, folks, is why you don’t leave even one scrap of personal information (like your bank PIN) on your computer. My computers are perfectly maintained and are operated in a pristine environment. There is no such thing as a software problem that occurs (like this one) when this computer is setting idle. It says it is collecting error info, but anyone who thinks that is all that is happening is such a dumbfeck they should not be owning a computer. If they can "collect error info", they can collect your PIN, is what I'm saying here.


           Remember, I’ve been around computers since day one. Even if there was such a problem, MicroSoft does not “need to restart” your computer nor collect some “error info”. If you believe they do and are acting in good faith then you truly do not understand the mentality of those glorious bastards. If they are able to collect information and restart your computer over the Internet, you are daft to think they would stop at that. The very fact they would build such capability into your system without warning you in advance should tell you something about their motives.
           It is so bitter cold outside, I thought I would spend the morning doing little projects on my scroll saw. But then I look outside to see all the Frenchies in their beach gear, bellies hanging out and sitting in the sun. By comparison, 71° must be suntan weather to them. Wait, hold on, I just heard one of them up the road start with his power saw. Good, I’ll be okay
.
           Have you ever heard of pomegranate sauce? No, not pomegranate juice, that is called “grenadine”. Here is a jar of this sauce, which I would try but I got sticker shock. Being that pomegranates are not any kind of glamorous or rare fruit, it should not cost $7 a bottle. But then again, have you seen the Miami seafood prices?
           Speaking of food, have you ever lost your pepper shaker? I was last using mine while on the phone y’day and it was gone. Don’t you hate that? I searched high and low. Finally, I can’t live without pepper so I went out and bought a new tin. Then I find the old one. Can you guess where it was? Return after I post this evening for the answer.

           There must be a word for it, but it probably doesn’t happen a lot to people without a blog. It is when I get company and they see something in my place that they recognize. Ah, here is the gear mechanism, so there’s the PA system from the club, look, it’s the world’s most famous drill press. A certain amount of it can be attributed to finding out that most everything here has a basis in fact (as opposed to some guys I know who are all talk).
           Author's note: The claim on the drill press is the result of those particular pages which contained a picture of that tool have been viewed, hang on, let me make sure this is up to the minute: 9,607 times. Being this is not a drill press site, nor am I selling drill presses, I henceforth claim this to be the most visited location for non-drill press viewers in the universe. If I’m wrong, prove it.
           And today I bet the Miami Herald $50 that they could not run an entire week without sounding off about some faggot issue that most people just do not give a flying damn about. Those poor excuses for journalists over there have their heads (and minds) up someplace, and it ain’t in the clouds.

NOON
           Nothing to report. I must be totally spoiled by warm weather and can’t get sweet done the moment it’s below 75°. Wait, here is something that should be reported. A potential security breach. Here is a photo of an ordinary ingredient list on a cookie wrapper. It is scanned because I share non-GMO product information with others. If you look closely at the list of ingredients, they are all natural and the last sentence states the product contains no frankenfood.
           So what could be the security breach? Closely examine the two top purple fruit items on the label. Can you see the potential problem? On top of those two big juicy berries or whatever, there is a big juicy thumb print where the package was picked up to place it on the scanner. While it is no big deal, it is something I’m sure somebody somewhere will be interested to note.
           You cannot see the thumbprint directly, but you can just perceive the outline of the print in the natural holding position. I only noticed because when I went to enhance the picture for attachment, I accidentally hit a colored filter and there is was. Very clear and very readable. The print itself has been detuned in this photo. Simply because it would make no sense not to blur it. Maybe see if anyone objects. Like MicroSoft.

EVENING
           I built a toy wooden gun that shoots elastic bands. To the untrained eye, which encompasses 100% of my critics, this looks like my second childhood. But the fact is, a kid would probably not make a toy with the intention of selling them when he was retired. Nor was his first model likely to be a semi-automatic three-shot repeater with an internal trigger mechanism and custom grip which that actually looks like a gun. In this case a Colt 45 Model 1911.
           Now let’s get serious and pick apart my logic. The gearing systems I’ve constructed are not suitable for any type of robot, so why encase them? But the noisy pawl was far quieter when placed inside a casing, plus the side walls helped keep the moving pieces aligned. We’ve all taken apart items that can’t be put back together because of this design feature. Thus, I went looking for encased mechanisms.

           And toy guns kept filling my screen. I rejected them because what they called “internal” was more like a notched stick with a simple lever release, and that includes all the crossbow designs. I wanted something complicated enough to teach me a thing or two and was about to give up when I saw this trigger mechanism. Two pots of tea later I had constructed the system shown here.
           If you look at these photos, you can see most of the works. The top photo shows the internal trigger pulled slightly back, so you can see how the elastic returns the trigger to forward position. Less obvious is the zig-zag pattern under my thumb. This works by loosing the top elastic and bringing the next elastic up to the firing position. If you could see it, you’d say it looks surprisingly like, well, a linear pawl.
           While I had the pieces cut within the hour, it was well into the dark hours before I was able to sand and shape the internal sliding parts into a smooth-operating instrument. This is my first foray into such a process, but while I worked at it I noticed the motions required to file parts like the inside trigger guard. Ha, it reminded me of the old movies I’ve seen that show a gunsmith at work. The patience required means beginners think twice before starting on something even this deceptively simple. Oh, you’ll get it to work, but will you learn the right lessons once you get frustrated?

           But do it anyway, it gives you plenty of time to generate other ideas. Like, I’ve already got some clever schemes using hidden magnets and springs. All of which distracts me from what I probably should be doing. Not being able to make simple gadgets was a barrier a month ago so this is an important sideshow. And I don’t have the 10,000 hours needed to become an expert at something new in my life, so this has to be a rush type job.
           No, I did not forget. The pepper shaker was in the refrigerator, in the door rack behind the soy sauce.

ADDENDUM
          In usual Internet fashion, there is very little intermediate material on-line. I’ve said how hard it is to find useful projects for the scroll saw and I’ve learned to search without mentioning the tool. One item I found was making wooden hinges. Such as the one shown here. I’ve got a month or so part time on the scroll saw under my belt, so I was amused to see the video make an obvious wrong cut to start. “Stop”, I hollered at the screen “Stop”, you’re cutting it way too thin to work with. But wrong I was.
          What happens is something I never thought of. The guy makes the “wrong” cut, then tapes the pieces back together and finishes making the rest of the slices. Brilliant. Then he adds a dowel as the hinge pin and voila, conversation piece. I think I could do this. He also had two tools I used to have (before they were stolen) that I didn’t know what they were.

          One was to make sure saw blades were 90° to the cutting table and the other a neat ruler with holes cut in it to center your pencil lead. Come to think of it, I’ve got something like that in my navigation kit. It’s the wrong model, but I’ll dig it out and show you. Anyway, today I learned the trick of taping the pieces back together so the piece being cut is “wieldy”.
           A heads up to, all some, that my scroll saw was never intended to be anything but a toy. I did not have any idea of its capabilities when I bought it, other than the gronk layman’s understanding that it was a saw of sorts. There was no intention to invent anything, build a robot, or make money—but should those opportunities arise, well, you know. Do not expect miracles, but stick around to see what my inquisitiveness rustles up next. It will be something.


Last Laugh
But, but, how could it not be personal?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++