Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, July 2, 2015

July 2, 2015

Yesteryear
One year ago today: July 2, 2014, keep the money, Longacre.
Five years ago today: July 2, 2010, the obsession of peasants.
Six years ago today: July 2, 2009, on faking lead breaks.

MORNING
           You get a progress report. I’ll mention the song list in a moment. Things do eventually happen around here and the world wants to know, I’m sure—aren’t you all waiting in anticipation of what stunt I’ll pull next?. First, I’m taken by surprise how popular that Jap scooter was last evening, so I will try to get you a picture of the electronics in the seat. I said “try”. I don’t have a camera that takes good closeups, I can only promise to attempt it. I also have to replace my crankshaft oil seal and my back brake calipers, so be patient, I don’t drive to that shop unless scheduled for a repair.
           Real estate. At the first opportunity, I will try to attend one of these house auctions. I may go to Miami or some other district to get my exposure, basically so that when and if I appear here, it looks like I came from out of nowhere. This tactic has served me well my entire life. I’ve also gone over the finances.
           Here’s the logic. I’m going to pick a number out of the air, say $25,000. If you buy a house with it, you’ll get a house worth $25,000. But if you take the money to an auction, you might get something worth five or ten times that. There is no way to tell without going through the process because. Most sites that purport to give instructions are rarely above goof level. There is no reliable information that stays on topic, that tells the beginner what you really need to know.

           Yes, there is something behind my mention of band activity last day. There is a band for which I put in for an audition. They are in Miami, but gig out regularly. They currently have a stand-up bassist but no way he can compete with me. All stand-ups play dreadfully slow and thumping bass lines. They do a lot of country and he fakes every tune in their videos. Not a hard act to follow. And the lady singer kind of looks like a lady singer. Not my type.
           Actually, the band is not up to my lowest standards for sound, but if they gig, they meet my needs. At some point in my career, I’ve played almost every tune on their set list. What’s more, in many cases I have completely re-written the bass line into my own “rhythm bass” style, which I feel will clobber any stand-up bass that ever existed. It’s just the way the instruments are designed that makes the stand-up model less capable.
           This band is in Miami, but I can forgive them for that. They have little idea what will happen if they give me a try. Folks, this is like asking me to play my dream list for style, if not for actual titles. It’s a haul down there, but I can play this kind of music part-time. That is, show up and play it without laborious rehearsals. I’ll take a kick at the can.

           Trivia time. Have you ever taken the SAT? I dislike that test because it is geared to the advantage of people who “think” like society wants them to. And I like taking tests. I’ve probably written, oh, twice as many as the average person. That’s because I went to school at some point of each year for twenty-seven years of my life.* So what’s the trivia?
           I’ll give you a hint how to increase your score when you don’t know that much. All multiple choice tests have a similar defect, but SATs are nasty because blank answers count against you. So, when you see a question you can’t answer, determine the answer that is either most or obviously wrong and eliminate it. This is easier than you think.
           Then, take a guess, that is, randomly pick one of the remaining answers. Statistically, you will improve your score over leaving it blank. If you can eliminate two bad answers instead of just one, guessing can gain you as much as 100 points, which is more than the average rejection range for Princeton applicants.
           Gee, do you think Patsie could use this inside info to get into an ivy leaque? Bwaaaa-ha-haha-ha!

[Author's note: this may be an underestimate. If I include kindergarten, until I was over 40 I spent some point of each year in a classroom. And that's a legitimate course for credit, not some one day class on folding napkins. But what is certain is there were two continuous stretches, one for 17 years and another for 10 years, where I was consecutively in attendance. That's where the 27 comes from, it was actually more. I like attending lectures and only quit when the caliber of the schools began to drop in the mid-1990s.]

NOON

           “At the University of Phoenix you don’t get a diploma. They just frame a copy of your receipt.” ~Miles K.

           I have a conclusion about the real estate looked at so far. The agents are lean and hungry, resulting in adequate, but misleading and incomplete advertising practices. If you thought it was bad before, you probably saw some flowery ads at worst. We are finding situations far worse, including cropped and altered pictures. There was even one with the Trulia company logo over the cavity of a stolen window air conditioner.
           It is easy for an old database type like me to spot trends and patterns. Like the properties for sale in the historic district of Ft. Myers. The listings are mainly locations within easy walking distance of high crime areas. Or the properties north of Tampa were all on roads heading perpendicular to the proposed high-speed rail corridor to Orlando. I don’t know the reasons, but do I need to?
           JZ was supposed to be here six hours ago, so that’s a no-show. But one thing I can say about these auctions already is that there are far too many of them for any commercial investors to cover all the bases. Even if there were thousands of flippers with zillions of dollars, they can’t be at every auction at the same time.

           I’m again looking at Arcadia. Where even the high crime areas tend to be items like speeding tickets, abandoned vehicles, and livestock on the highway. That’s the photo shown nearby. It’s from Trulia.com (no link) which reports the crimes in this colored and therefore readily understandable fashion. Use your brains, however. For instance, there has never been any burglaries in the area I’m in, but the proximity to Federal Hwy to the east would make this area seem less safe than it is.
           What’s the term for these summer heat wave? GeoEngineering, that’s it. Climate warfare, but the object of warfare is conquest and what is the point of destroying the planet you want to take over? Every year the hot weather arrives a little earlier and stays a little later. Nobody listens to the independent scientists because TV has conditioned the public to regard every non-government source as conspiracy theory.
           I won’t go into it here, but there are groups who consider 95% of the human population as surplus, a burden. That is, if 95% of the people were allowed to die, the remainder would actually be better off than now due to the easement on resource demands. The remaining 5% represent those humans which are the best of the best, the most productive and most beneficial to a society based on a power elite. But as we all know, as long as Walmart is open and there’s gas at the corner station, everything is fine.
           Still, it gets awkward to explain away any problems when ever more politicians are already covering their tracks. Or in places like Canada, scientists can be arrested for expressing non-approved points of view. I think I’ll put on some sunglasses and go play music. What crisis? I’m set up to live a whole 90 days longer than the non-preppers.

NIGHT
           All today devoted to finding out about the auctions and I can’t say I’ve been successful. Nearby is a photo of the typical type of property I am looking at in the auction section. It’s a fixer-upper. There is no mention of the procedures and the forms that have to be filled out are not that relevant to what you need to know or do to be prepared. Gee, do you think they do those things on purpose?
           I eventually decided to sit down and step through the programming needed to not just get a flight application to perform, but to get it to behave. I ran smack into the same problem as thirty years ago. Namely, calling subroutines is not as straightforward in C [language] as it should be. That’s due to the enforced looping structure of C. It turns out to pull out of a climb, an airplane must do the identical “stick” maneuver as a dive.
           You cannot just call the same subroutine (try it), and the answer is to revamp most of your code to a different (and non-intuitive) starting point. As it was, I wound up pondering this over at the pub. Tthe place was full of hefty women. As I used to say to my brothers, always bear in mind the reasons you did not score tonight are the opposites of why I didn’t either. So don’t get chummy with me about it. No, it is not the same for the gals. My claim to fame is not how well I’ve kept my figure, though I wish I could get away with that.
           And to any ladies who say that isn’t fair, that if they don’t keep their figure, they wind up lonely and alone: hey, you wanted equality, now deal with it.



Last Laugh
(That look. Her eyes are upside down.)


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++