Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, October 11, 2015

October 11, 2015

Yesteryear
One year ago today: October 11, 2014, remember my $560 carbs?
Five years ago today: October 11, 2010, I like cacahuates.
Six years ago today: October 11, 2009, the underground freeway.

MORNING
           Amazing, nobody came to the door. Today I caught up on my correspondence, so you don’t get any more of the those thrilling electrical box pictures or glued blocks of wood. Hey, that type of project is the backbone of this blog, never forget that. Arnold the avocado is resting in the sun, he’s getting a slow start. But here is his home once he sprouts. I made this, you know.
           What? I heard that. I never said I was the artsy-craftsy type. Now just because some of you thought what you did, I’ll have you know I paint these things while I’m sitting on the crapper. So there, whose the dummy now? It’s all about getting things done, folks. I have not wasted a moment in a lotta, lotta years.
           Yes, this planter has a gravel base and a drain hole, and standoff on the bottom between the cans. The interior is black, but that is a shiny rubberized anti-rust coating. As for the design, I call it my “early Navajo” period. My next unit may have swastikas. I know Arnold is going to love this.
           And not bragging, the majority who saw this painted tomato can asked if they could have it. Even more and, like my family, I said no, go make your own. Dumb, lazy people don’t like to hear them words, but no way was I handing over Arnold’s birthright.
           Make sure you spot the connection between today's last laugh and what the Millennial generation has done to the computer. If you don't spot the humor, go play with your phone. It will hit you eventually.

NOON
           [Author's note: I was not originally going to leave the following photo here. But it turns out I am by far not the only person who experienced the problem and could not find the solution. I do not know if this shows the correct arrangement, but it was identical to an entire bin of trailer hitches at Wal*mart, so odds are it is good. Still, you should consider Wal*mart's hiring policy. The picture stays because it got 46 hits in as many minutes.]

           I balked at buying potting soil by the trunk-sized bag. Instead, I got a few miles exercise walking the lonely aisles of bargains. The bargains that put Americans out of a job because they thought they were smarter than people who paid in cash. I was on a mission, one aspect of which was to find out the correct re-assembly order of the small pieces which fell out of my wagon hitch last spring.
           None of the instructions come with a blow-up of this arrangement. Notice the screw threads, the nut, then the washer, then the spring, then the funny square metal blank, then the part that actually connects to the trailer hitch. One over-zealous twist of the stubborn ball-hitch setting, and these tiny parts fling themselves about. And you are on your own.

           Never mind the other parts shown in the picture. You need to know the trailer hitch parts. As far as I know, this is the only available representation in the universe of the order in which to reassemble a sprung trailer hitch mechanicsm.

          While at Wal*mart, I examined some video cameras while over there, and found one that seems interesting. The Samsung HMX-F90 I think. Hang on, let me look that up. Yes, that is correct. It has most of what I need and plenty of useless features. Like a 52x digital zoom. I mean who? Why?
           It is on sale for $99 and is the size and weight of a comparable Sony camera. Except at a third or a quarter of the price. Let me calculate if I can both own and operate such a product. The reviews are mixed. The positive reviews are mostly mediocre written by obvious unsophisticates while the negative reviews are scathing. It eats batteries, it requires expensive cards, and it uses the dreaded MP4 format that is a bugger to edit. I’ll devote an extra coffee break tomorrow morning to run the numbers.
           If the camera is adequate, I’m fine with buying extra batteries and expensive memory cards. The total outlay is still less than half a Sony. And every Sony I’ve owned after 1985 has sprung some kind of trap on my. From incompatible formats, software that pre-empts your computer, slow start times, un-navigable menus, strange cables, you name it, Sony has pulled it.
           And I’ll call Fred to see if he has any editing software for MP4. I accept that sooner or later I will have to switch over to learning these johnny-come-lately products like HDTV whose true usefulness is marginal because most Millennials have no idea how to use them properly. Their $50 smartphones take better pictures and video.

EVENING
           Here’s the unusual picture of the day. Since I don’t “celebrate” the annual shop-fest mistakenly called “Xmas”, this was entirely new to me. It is rack of various aromas that you put on or clip to your Xmas tree to make it smell “freshly cut”. The package instructions say as the weeks wear on, you can apply more and more of the product. This is a boon for those who like their dead trees to smell just tickity-boo.
           I mapped out a better and now waterproof circuit box for the new short-camper. Rethinking the situation where rain can occur so rapidly that I’m soaked by the time I get the camper set up, I’ve drafted an outline of how I could have a canopy on the sidecar in a matter of seconds. That’s sitting instead of reclining. I usually sleep and read through a rainstorm. But in a pinch, the sidecar chair is now more comfortable with cushions than the original Russian no-frills wartime design.
           Then I flinched at the (minimum) $750 for DC hotels. That’s a lot of missed out fun on a motorcycle. Since the jaunt over to Punta Gorda, I haven’t taken a break. The reason isn’t hard to spot, it’s the $1,325 in extra expenses for the sidecar. Add it up, the first major repair (the alternator) $720 and less than a month later, that $605 flat tire. And next, the $120 brake job. Well, okay, it was that flat tire that hurt worst. With the cPod, that’s a ten day holiday, and that’s always an adventure in my life. I don’t exactly head for the Seaquarium.

ADDENDUM
           How hypocritical, those people who criticize Trump for being a millionaire. They must be democrats who prefer that everyone who gets into office owe a few hundred million worth of favors. You know, to keep them loyal to the cause. And that is just sick. But let me explain something about capitalism that very few of the working class know, be they peasants or the former middle class.
           Such people have a notion that once you get money, that is it. False. The system is designed that once you get money, you have to go through hoops to keep it. No sitting back and resting. Sure, you can have your comfort zone replete with cars and private jets, but if you don’t play the game, your fortune will dwindle back to below zero. In America, there is no point of refuge. If you know somebody that is comfy, that does not contradict what I say, rather it just means daddy is taking care of the logistics. Right, Paris?
           This also means that once you get rich, you have to change or you will not stay rich. Of course, the bumpkins and crofters take pleasure in saying money “corrupts” people. But in fact, the poor support a system that leaves the rich very little choice. Losers are angry when rich folks vote themselves an exception, but rarely admit the more angry of the poor were trying to vote themselves exactly the same thing.
           Ergo, capitalism. While it is true money changes people, it is the people without money who are the main driving cause for that. While we cannot allow pure, unbridled capitalism to trample the countryside, stop to think of why the rich don’t necessarily support the same social programs as the poor. Each party wants something for nothing. Meaning the minority will always be accused of taking advantages that the majority would love to get their grubby hands on.


Last Laugh


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++