Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, April 30, 2017

April 30, 2017

Yesteryear
One year ago today: April 30, 2016, this strain of stupidity . . .
Five years ago today: April 30, 2012, no extra for being smart.
Nine years ago today: April 30, 2008, fog machines & smoke detectors.
Random years ago today: April 30, 2007, Sanibel Island.

           I skipped breakfast at the Terrace even though I was right there, and it’s payday. Nobody to associate with, Trent’s busy, JZ’s water pump is ratched, Agt. M is practicing getting married. So the only intellectual pursuit left in the county is the crossword, and I can do that for $1.49 biscuits and gravy at Hardee’s. Who gives free refills if you act decent while you’re there. You know, I think I’ll work today, get something done. Last time I was in Homeless Depot, I saw they make a 2x4” joist hanger, unless I’m mistaken. If they got ‘em, I’ll work today. Deal?
           I’m back. What have we got for adventure today? Adventures in shed renovation. Here’s an exterior picture, showing much improvement already. You were expecting what, Lady Gaga? I’m taking a day off from partying with the scads of wild, sexy Lakeland women. The one’s who are such great company because they’ve had 40 years to get their acts together. Instead, I think I’ll look more into the details of lantern construction, maybe a better look at how to get the glass panels to fit properly. That’s another task I’ve never done before. Each little pane of glass is held in by two grooves cut into the sides. There is no groove at the top and bottom.

           One change I can tell you is this sort of challenge becomes much more enjoyable when you know you don’t have to do it for a living. I always missed shop training, figuring my university degree would pay so much that with my self-learned frugality, I’d be retired by 30 years of age anyway, and would have my paid-for shop by then. Just go along with my inclination to distinguish four retirement dates.

           1) When I quit working for a living, 1981.
           2) When I quit working a job, 1996.
           3) When I quit working altogether, 2004
           4) When I turn 65, not as far away as it used to be.

           So I miscalculated by a few years, but it’s not like I didn’t eventually get there. Now I make decisions that were once considered effective management. Do I get a saw blade that cuts the wider kerf to fit the glass, or continue using the thin blade already in place to save lumber and make two passes? Or should I just route the groove meaning I’ll need a second router table? The real issue is why am I not at the Smithsonian? I deserve a big break, a two-week holiday for being a good boy. I didn’t go out last night, isn’t that worth some points?

Picture of the day.
Meanwhile in Tibet . . .
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Yes, they make 2x4” joist hangers, it’s just that I have a hard time viewing 2x4”s as joists. Would you walk on them? I took the Rebel out for a 25 mile run to enjoy the extra warm spring spell. Before I left, I threw up a 1x4” facia on the shed to see what it looked like, and it’s a remarkable improvement. Since somebody had to do it, I climbed up on the now-reinforced shed roof and swept away all the Howie dirt. Once every other month, the wind blows in from the east. Guess what it was doing as I tried to sweep the dust away? I know it’s uncanny how Florida knows when you don’t want something, but the NWO can’t tolerate anybody getting too comfortable. Between bad timing a taxation, they’d make sure you never slept.

           This is something different. It’s a dead Black Widow spider. That’s rare enough to make mention, I know I’ve never seen one. This photo from Mitch, the guy that visited last September. We’ve never heard of anyone dying from a spider bite, so it doesn’t scare anyone around here. I’ll bet people have been bitten by these things and just thought it was a wasp bite or similar. I said I’ve been re-reading the book on Antarctica, but uncharacteristically, I’m not finding it any easier this time. I hit familiar passages that I know from other sources, but can’t follow the author’s logic. And it is admirable, well-projected logic.
           Here’s a sample. Years ago I read a translation of some Icelandic legends, called Eddas (I think). Not the tales of dragons and such, but a lists of individual referrals to historic events and voyages that could be cross-referenced or verified in modern terms. There were accurate descriptions of the proper time of year to sail east to Denmark and Ireland, and west to Newfoundland. They knew the Gulf Stream and accurately described coastlines that are just now being revealed by retreating glaciers.

           The intriguing thing is an excellent account of the south pole, not the north pole. They knew the north pole was an ocean surrounded by land and the south pole was land surrounded by ocean. They were also aware of the ocean current flowing completely around Antarctica. A matter that continually comes up in these ancient writings is that the climate was significantly warmer for a few hundred years at least. They can’t say when, but my guess is 8,000 to 7,000 years B.C. My thinking is that the rise in sea level accounts for many of the flood tales. Further, that the climate again turned cold and the glaciers advanced a few hundred miles.
           These glaciers would have destroyed any settlements in their path, so even now as they move back, there is still nothing to be found. Except for these persistent legends and their agreement of a period of warmth, you won’t find direct evidence. This is not related, in my mind, to glossopteris, because that is a fossil, which along with the coal seams, are much older and better explained by Wegener. Even with this background study, the book “Out of Antarctica” is too deep for me.

One-Liner of the Day:
“There’s no menu at the Karma restaurant
because you get what you deserve.”

           Later, I caught Agt. R at home and got the plywood delivered for the counter tops. He came over and inspected the progress. You should not overlook reports like this from people who do the work themselves. As an example, the roofing material comes in lengths of 79”. See photo. What sort of manifest retard came up with that one? From a distance, it is obviously designed to make you think it is a 4x8 sheet. Like the Maxwell House 11 oz. coffee brick designed to look like a pound. I’ll need time to work around this deception, but by later tomorrow, I hope to have a new shed roof.

           Back to music, I drove way over to Hwy 17 and stopped in. Yes, I have gossip and news, all connected to music. Do you want to continue? Good, so do I. The fancy acoustic guitar player from last night was let go after a few hours. According to the owner, he was just not connecting with the crowd. Golly, such a surprise. This is the same place I connected with the married barmaid the other night, so I used that familiarity to get the background on this bar.
           It’s already known anybody can set up there and play, that’s where I met Mack. The hesitation is that nobody wants to play a new venue unless they can make a bit of a splash. My guitar playing would not normally pass muster, but now I hear that studio trained big-shots have failed. Am I being too professional? I’ve been at this juncture before. I am not good enough on guitar to pull a show, and kind of the same with bass. Why don’t I combine the two and see what I come up with? If Mack was in the audience, and he would be if he knew I was there, that alone would kill an hour.

ADDENDUM
           I said before my grudging admiration for the Irish terrorists. They are the best in the world. The Clancy plot has unexpectedly turned to include them. Now the story has my interest. Clancy imparts only malicious genius to his bad guys but I find that stereotype breaks down for the Irish. For openers, they are just as educated as most of their foes and have an understanding of their ideology, a huge advantage other cultures fail at. The provisional wing are as utterly ruthless as their opponents but are not shackled by a chain of command that always includes a hidden agenda.
           This is why Clancy eventually becomes boring. His terrorists never change tactics, so it is little wonder they continually fall for the same countermeasures. I don’t know when Clancy wrote “Rainbow Six”, so I’m watching to see if Clancy himself has learned anything. The challenge is, allow me to match wits with Clancy. All I know for now is that the IRA is going to attack a hospital and kidnap nurses to draw out their SWAT member husbands.

           Okay, Clancy, I’ve been watching. I’ll come up with a plan to defeat your SWAT team, and see if, in “Rainbow Six”, you or I would have won. You’ve handed me a lot, my chore is to see if I can plan around you. You’ve told me your side likes the dark because of night-vision goggles and told me your team never has more then ten members, two of them snipers, and one with a machine gun just in case. The IRA is going to have weapons as good or better than you do.
           My advice to the IRA last day was to hold the hostages in a room with very few openings in the walls, roof, or ceiling, and strap one hostage to a chair across each. Since the Americans can see through walls, have five or six of the hostages standing up at any given time, preferably moving around. Next, determine in advance where the snipers will set up, and install counter-snipers to nail them first. The drawn-out American selection process ensures these people cannot easily be replaced, so you are also ridding them of assets against your future operations.

           I would also have some better contingency plans, such as providing my own getaway car and driver, and I don’t want an airplane. Ireland is full of isolated roadways into friendly territory that can be sealed off by a single man or device at the right spot. Mine the approaches the SWAT will use, and remember that chicken-shit media crews tend to get in the authority’s way worse than yours. Deactivate the cellular towers and communicate by hand signals, both inside and out. And do not negotiate, it is never in your favor to negotiate.
           Beware of the robot cam, have several hostages wearing ski masks at a time and have outside people watching the perimeter of the building. And, since we know you have them, keep enough Stinger missiles to ensure no helicopters can be used in the rescue attempt. I’m also going to jam every radio frequency I can, since I know what frequencies you use. There, that’s my plan. Now, let’s pit my logistics against Clancy, the highly-touted student of tactics.


Last Laugh

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++