Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, February 14, 2001

February 14, 2001


           [Author’s note: this is key-entered from the hand-written original.]

           Some annoying problems with the car. I’ll get into it on the weekend. It was Key Biscayne today, and I looked more closely at the new time sheet, a deceptively simply document. I hate that phrase but I can’t come up with a better. Anyhow, there is a lot of data on that page – it broaches that middle management layer that’s missing.
           If it’s not handled at sight level, good luck trying to do it at the head office. I estimate 128,000 scans per day. I’ll “computerize” it here. For free. Without computers, this system is not going to work.

           [Author’s note: I’m referring to a timesheet the office wants to have everyone use. Later, the computerized sheet that I designed was fished out of the garbage by the security manager. It didn’t work, but he claimed it was his own invention. I didn’t say anything. The company had high speed scanning machines, but still, the way things were designed was an invitation for failure.]

           [Author’s note 2023: I've discovered some of the older picture uploads don't display on contemporary browsers. That's a screw-up we saw coming, but also your incentive to read blogs as soon as possible after they are posted. There should be a picture here of my 1987 baby Cadillac, before it was hit by a Miami tow truck, parked at 3:00AM. I'll upload the picture again below, to see if there is a difference in the display.]