Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, December 6, 2003

December 6, 2003


           [Author’s note: I regularly check publications by Amnesty International to see who's messing things up. Canada is in there again, this time for reverting to Rule of the Jungle by enacting retroactive law. While it's clear some of these things are written depending on the mood I'm in at the end of a workday, I'm still appalled that such things can still happen in our time.
           It is a commonly recognized principle that the harm from most crime, particularly nonviolent crime, diminishes with the passage of time. You can't sue somebody for something that happened 50 years ago just because you decided it harmed you this morning. That is the purpose of the body of law which are the Statutes of Limitation.
           Furthermore, and get this, Canada has enacted laws that says if you do something that is illegal in Canada while you're out of the country, and even if it was legal where you did it, you can be prosecuted when you return to Canada. Yet this country considers itself civilized. Interesting.]


           Some of my general principles. I love law, but I can’t stand lawyers. I love construction work, but I hate construction workers. I love small towns, but not small town people. Please understand this when I say I love Canada, but I hate Canadians. I define a Canadian as a person who thinks because he is right and you are wrong, this somehow changes anything. Like now you are going to like him and do things his way.
           We had a revolution against the English. Those who could be redeemed are still here; the incorrigible went directly to Canada and are still engaged in the same nonsense. “How can we respect your right to privacy unless we see your ID?” “You are free because we gave you a document saying you are free. What? You lost the document!” “We didn’t tell you were too old to be considered for the job because the law says anyone can apply.” Wallace could tell you about that one.

           There is no end to absurdity in Canada, and I know because I once worked there. (I left when my marginal tax rate hit 44%, and that’s just income tax.) The purpose of all reasonable law is to prevent harm, and to be reasonable, law recognizes that the passage of time diminishes the directness between cause and effect. This is as it should be, a person who first notices harm at age 60 should not be able to blame it on a schoolyard incident from his childhood. A woman should not be able to claim she was molested forty years ago and didn't make the link until her husband finally divorced her fat ass. If the damage wasn't worth reporting at the time, it isn't worth it today.
           Careful here, I am not referring to violent crime, or the situation where a suspect is on the run for a long time. (But he has to be actually on the run, if he has quietly led a responsible life since the crime, even under an alias, that is atonement enough in most cases.) That's still different that waiting for years to report because those situations where somebody is running, the harm is already recognized. I mean the circumstances where the harm is not discovered or reported, that is, the point where so much time has passed that the harm could have been caused, influenced or aggravated by other things. And that time is generally taken to mean seven years. I know my broken wrist still hurts from the accident in 1991, but I know I can’t place legal blame here.


           An even more reprehensible evil is the making of retroactive law. This is to make you criminally liable today for something you did that was perfectly legal in the past when you did it. Such mentality is a step back to the Stone Ages. Ernst Zundel is a political prisoner due to Canadian pressure on the US government. (Zundel is the German-Canadian who exposed all the Holocaust "witnesses" for lying under oath. His house was fire-bombed. There is no such thing as a fair trial in Canada.)
           On that principle alone, no American could ever receive a fair trial in Canada. What brought this on? Well, I noticed two changes in the Canadian law. Many of the traditional crimes which had statutory limitations have been changed to read basically that the limitation has been removed not only now, but whether or not “there had ever been” any limitation! Utterly disgusting, almost criminal you might say.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++