Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, March 12, 2005

March 12, 2005


           Here is a very long entry that will make no sense to anyone. So to keep you interested, here is a picture of a sexy girl. See? That works every time. She was sporting this advertisement at Calle Ocho, which technically happens tomorrow. Drop back for the details of South Florida’s most attended party.

           The moment class was out I drove up to Del Ray and met up with Glenn. We played a house party on Jasmine Court for a newspaper executive leaving town. Lots of video with a keyboard player. We actually got paid which always keeps me interested. Come on, Glenn, let’s do it again next weekend. Suddenly I like house parties all over again.
           I knew I had never met the keyboard player, but this man named Joe answered the door and we both agree we have met somewhere, yet neither of us know where. The crowd loved us. On the other hand, between us we know most of it was faked and we are badly out of practice as a group. Here is a secret. I only liked House of the Rising Sun the first time I ever heard it, and I reluctantly accept that I am going to have to play that stupid song in every band I’m in for the rest of my life. It friggin’ puts me to sleep already.

           Back home at midnight. I did the books, and for some unexplained reason there is an extra $60 in the coffers. This is not due to undocumented income. These are the real books that have a checksum built in. Every bank withdrawal is accounted for, every transaction is supported by a receipt, yet here is $60.18 extra. It is scary because it did not enter either the books or my pocket through the usual paths. Three crisp twenty dollar bills and change. Today’s bank balances show everything is in order over there. I just dunno.
           The bank statements are reconciled, the most recent was bank statement number 112, 692 on 2/24/05. I did not take this from my savings account, as the last withdrawal there was 38-0217 contained on lines 64, 65 and 66 of my records. Ah, what is this? Line 398 of my checking shows an unrecorded $20 entry on 3/2/05. I think somebody gave me $20. Okay, so let me see what happened today in 1981. Actually two days, March 11 and March 12, 1981.
           Hey, forget those dates, since I was obviously bored. Take a look at Saturday, March 14, 1981. Here is the quote verbatim: “I still can’t sell R. H. on the idea of going computer. He still sees it as overkill. But any business not on computer 5 years from now will be obsolete. I think, because he finally got a C in a course & it was coincidently (sic) a computing course, he thinks all the software will be too expensive. He doesn’t understand I can do most of the programming we’ll need so it will cost quite little at first.”

           How’s that for prophetic, all you so-called whiz kids that didn’t even arrive for another ten years? What did any one of you ever predict that far in advance with such confidence? Which one of you even knows how original that statement was at the time? Not one person in a hundred thousand had ever touched a computer when I wrote that, and yet I was obviously certain we needed one. This was just two years after the Apple II came out and the only useful software it had was a primitive spreadsheet called Visi-Calc. Yet, there it is in my own handwriting buried in place with hundreds of pages of entries on either side representing years of work and thus impossible to fake.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++