Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, July 27, 2006

July 27, 2006

It was busy enough that I keep thinking this morning was y’day. I rearranged all of the computer equipment and am going to take a close look at a different flatbed scanner. I’m not tempted to get a sheet feeder since I scan many different sizes of originals. This means long hours standing at the ready.


I finally took the HP R40 back to the shop and hooked it to one of the new video computers. Sure enough, the scanner did not work. I tracked down the documentation on line and HP did it to me again. Their site specifically says this scanner will not work with Win XP and it cannot be made to work. This, after they sell it to you as a scanner. I’ll have to get rid of it as it is too large to use as a printer. What dismal assholes, pardon my French. You think they’d put a warning sticker on the unit.
From there I went to pick up parts for Fred, my only break of the day. Nearby you can find a photo of the ChipTech warehouse. Mrs. O’Toole called for some directions on purchasing the new AVG7.1. It is $59 and says this is two “licenses” but I could not find out what they meant by that. Each “license” is “up to five computers”. So why not call that a half-license and sell her the whole thing instead of two things? Computer geeks are called that for a reason. I believe they price these things funny so that the average consumer can’t understand what is going on.
I got home early so I also lowered the curtain rods. Now anyone sitting inside the house can see the yard trees and open sky, but anyone outside would have to be around six foot eight to look back in. It brightens the place up and I can lean back in my chair to get a view of the entire street and anyone going past while they would have to purposely look up to see me. Then I hung my beautiful Mexican blanket, the one I bought in the Yucatan 23 years ago, in the kitchen to make a divider beside the fridge.


Then the new guy, Dan, knocked at the door. I’m going to try to upgrade that old Win 98 computer for him. He uses dial-up and like older computer games so I’m going to try to bring that into his budget. Around $175 including a printer and installation. This is that weird motherboard that has both SIMM and DIMM slots, but you only get to use one. I’m tossing the SIMMs, if the DIMM will take a 128 I’ll try 256.
Anyway, he says that the newest rumor is everyone will be offered $2,000 to move when the condo arrives. With the current market, that day may be a long time away. That is the fourth price I’ve heard and it keeps going down. Either way, I break even on this joint. The bigger problem is that I like it here. Where else can I live in Florida with no neighbors for two blocks in every direction?
My investment on the new video Internet computers at the shop is showing a 14% return per month [but that is only $94, folks]. The flat screens may not be too far away. Also, I contacted National Telecom and so far they seem legit. They want somebody to go to the sites and rig up networking. They supply tech support but you are the tech. You bill the customer directly for $50 per hour. My contact is Ahmer and apparently there is a lot of work out there. Too bad I don’t know how to do it yet. I called Don, my old school buddy, and left him a message with all these details. Man, I drank a lot of coffee today. Uh, decaf, folks.