Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

November 21, 2006


           Always start with a picture. Except I don’t have one. Wait a second, now, here is a picture of the parking lot entrance to the wig shop. That's what you get, but pause to think how many other people do you know that ever worked in a wig shop? Aha, see what I mean? I was there today and the database is already starting to ask the right questions. For instance, does the wig price stay the same when the synthetic material is a different color? I don’t know. The point is that this not something you want to find out the hard way. So here is the back door to 1050, but that’s all the information you get for free.
           Let me break with tradition here for two reasons. One, I want to work "late into the night" and two, I always wanted to use that cliché. I will write before the day is finished, a bold move by some standards (most of these blogs are written "next-day"). It has been cold enough that I went out and bought a small room heater. First time I had to do that since I left the prairies, what, 28 years ago. The main thing I have against the prairies is monotony, but not what you think. It is the monotony of the people who live there. It is though they see nothing year after year and begin to think nothing.
           There are a few exceptions, but most interesting authors, actors, musicians and generally talented people come from hilly or coastal areas. Hey, just count the number of songs about mountains and oceans compared to songs about cow pasture. The nearest hill to where I was born was a three-hour drive. Yes, I admit that I was always against living “on a farm” when I was young, but again, not what you think. Sure, I was well aware that town is where you got laid after school. The real reason was I dreaded being cooped up with people like my family twenty-five miles from help. These people knew by early childhood that due to stupidity and laziness they would never amount to anything, but be damned if they were going to let you get away with anything!

           I dropped by Bargain Foods [the guy I am helping with his sales tax and accounting] to assure him he has nothing to worry about. He was imagining the process to be more complicated than it was. We talked for around a half-hour, where I advised him if he could contact Sharp’s toll-free help line and get his cash register set up for roughly twelve departments, he can do most of the bookkeeping off the Z-tapes. He was doing cash accounting and this did not mesh well with the accrual system the county wants. He did pay a few things double, but not more than $206 this year so far, which I will get back for him. Now he can sleep easy.
           By now you have figured out today was slow. Just as well, since things will pick up tomorrow. I’m minding the shop for Fred, then looking after the thrift store for a few days while Dickens does the family thing. He is investigating alternatives, particularly after we found out that stores way the hell out on Griffin go for $17 per square foot. Ouch-ee-wah-wah! He wants to maybe stock some of that Chinese trinket stuff that you can double your money on. The focus is those back rooms.
           People have already approached him about renting back there, like this one guy with a driving school. Dickens just uses the space for sorting clothes. The knot is that he is a non-profit and does not want to overstep what is allowable. Thus, we are again looking to sell things on eBay. Two rooms, and they are just the right size. Certainly that would fit within his licensing arrangements and if not, we simply move [the required percentage of] donations through eBay.
           Back to the wig place, a shipment came in from Indonesia. Eleven wigs, which are divided into hairpieces and extensions. Ah, the database saves the day. Ruth also adapted most rapidly to interpreting the sometimes repetitious printouts of raw table data. The factory using the same product numbers for different colors is instantly enough to force a rethink of the system. It seems tiny yet I assure you the introduction of a color means back to the database drawing board. Spend the hundred dollars now and do it right. I’ll think it though later. In addition to the model, the price is affected by the date, factory, color, material and whether or not it can be machine sewn. This is the time to mention that it is the factory making errors. Two colors named 266?

           Back home, I made a great pot of tea along and a supper of rice. Alaine called, it was a wrong number. She was dialing her girlfriend in Ft. Lauderdale. (I hear you – how come she never told me she had a girlfriend in my area, but you know my “hold button” theory of why women do that.) JZ’s story of his adventures over my birthday weekend are changing each time he tells Alaine but it is not hard to figure out what went down. He went out with that horrid Carrie person. Alaine and I are still set for the Xmas concert on the 10th. I told her I like her because she is the only gal I know that I can wear a suit and tie around. The rest around here are ball cap and t-shirt grade.
           In my quest to find a substitute for chocolate, that is to say I admit I cannot quit, here is an interesting package of corn starch. [Sorry, picture missing.] The directions say to mix it with milk to get a beverage, which I’ll try except this pack makes five cups. I’ll try it with a smoothie, for it has just 35 calories a serving. I hear a slight grumble that I am using a product I am against. Not so. My condemnation is not against artificial products, it is against such products as are packaged (and priced) so similar to the real thing as to fool children or the unaware. A grey area is artificial flavoring because the real thing is usually imitation, but you get my point. Warning labels, or a distinctive band of color, something that says “ersatz”.
           Later, I am finally going to learn that bass riff from the second verse (?) of Summertime Blues by Blue Cheer. It will only have taken me just under 41 years to get around to it. Hey, I had to work for a living. I first heard this version played by the legendary Larry Gustafson. That was back when I could not understand why somebody who could play guitar and sing wouldn’t do it all day long. But hey, back then I had to work for a living.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++